PDA

View Full Version : Gravel in the discus tank?

jkshi
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:19 AM
I was told not to put any gravel in the discus tank. Can anyone give me some advice on it? Thanks!
John

Del
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:24 AM
It all depends on what look you are going for John? BareBottom or Display Tank or a bit of both?

If you are talking about a breeding set-up then no gravel or plants are the way to go.

DEL

jkshi
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:27 AM
not a breeding tank! Just for display one, my own!

Del
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:32 AM
Just discus or other fish as well?

What size is your tank and how many fish do you have?

DEL

jkshi
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:36 AM
4 feet fish tank with 5 discus, 2 angel fish and 1 rummy nose.

iro11a
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:42 AM
Hey gravel would be alright just the angel fish might not be too good with the discus also i found if your setting up a display with discus get some schooling tetras but larger tetras it seems to bring the discus out more depending on how big the discus are but i got 4 that are 4cm and they hide all the time by themself in the tank if i got other fish they come out.

scott bowler
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 06:47 AM
hi jkshi welcome to the forum . if this tank is a display tank then gravel and some plants would be good . im with iro11a the angles may be a prob its generally not a good idea the have them with discus .i know it has worked for some but its not realy a good practice any way good luck with it all have fun

jkshi
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thank you guys. I am not sure what I am going to do with the angel fishes yet.

iro11a
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:22 AM
Take them to a aquarium and trade them for a discus you might need to pay extra to get one though or sell them on here :lol:

Jono

SandyLynne
Tue Jan 09, 2007, 08:30 PM
If you want a planted tank make sure you add a good substrate before putting gravel or sand in. I made the mistake of adding loads of gravel to my tank but the plants kept dying on me. :cry:

I then had to remove all of the gravel, put in substrate then added white pool filter sand over the top. Plants are now thriving.

If you do not want a planted tank then just gravel or sand is fine.

the german
Thu Jan 11, 2007, 11:23 AM
hi there

sand is not good because you feed beef and fine sand and beef are
a bad mix.
the angelfish are really bad because they carry a worm who is no
problem for them or any other fish,but discus dont like them at all
there will be very fast malnutritioned and that causes holes in
there heads there will lost weight and so on. from my point of view
angelfish and discus shouldnt be together in one tank only when
you are really experienced and now how to get rid of these worms

jkshi