PDA

View Full Version : Any good aquarium around Sydney CBD?

davidyeh
Sun Jan 07, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hi guys, is there any any aquarium selling good quality Discus near Sydney CBD?

tao
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:53 AM
Ray Aquarium in Kingscross,
which has one of the best discus colletion in Sydney.

ellwa
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 09:42 AM
seconded.

the discus there are top notch

ivo
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:22 AM
i have to disagree with that. i have been there several times and bought some fish too. they don't have a price set for their larger discus different staff will tell you different price and they will overcharge you if they think you are willing to pay. one time they told me $400 for their large low quality red spot green which is ridiculous. another time they called a snakeskin discus "leopard" so they can charge more. i bought one yellow/orangeish fish there and they charged me $230 and they told me some fancy strain it is, and then after i posted it's picture on the forum to identify it turns out to be a low grade maroubro red. at the moment their large discus tank is diseased and fish look like having velvet on their body. they breed their own discus now and those little babies are not even 5 cent coin size and they are for sale already...anything for a buck thats my opinion.

tao
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:45 AM
yeah boss is Taiwanese. maybe many aisan businessman wait customer to bargain hard and also the boss want to breed, so the big fish's price is unacceptable. but I can swap or borrow any fish from that adult tank and always have discount because I bring some food I cooked at home as a gift often. sure its some funny culture shock, many people don't like it, I like it though because I know the trick to take good use of that. anyway it's no harm to have a look.
now the fish recover back from that black disease, all discus seller will meet that sooner or later. difference is some can deal with that some not.
I think every aquarium shop has good fish and bad fish, to be a wise customer is more important than to meet a nice boss.
ps, they have the best gold fish in Sydney.

ivo
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:04 AM
i think to be an honest upfront business man is more the key to a success business than customer has to play tricks. it may explain why they cant sell their stocks and only have one shipment in the past 6 months. greed may gain an extra few dollars from a customer but customer will not return. would you call it wise business man? i wouldnt.

tao
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:34 AM
this game was played thousand years. Do you really think the most honest survive the last? they have one shipment every month at least, because they are not only retailer, even some sponsor here buy fish from Ray. I told u the reason why the big discus always there. anyway if I ask u which is the top 5 aquarium shops that sell good quality discus in Sydney, what will the answer be? Saddly we don't have too many choises here.