PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose

Dearra
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:11 AM
Not really sure where to post this, but I bought a bristlenose last week, to help with the algae. I have been putting in algae wafers for him, but all the Discus eat them before he gets the chance to. How can I make sure he gets to eat them. I don't want him to die through lack of food. I have never had one before, so I am inexperienced with them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dearra

Merrilyn
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:18 AM
Discus seem to be rather fond of algea wafers, but by the same token, bristlenose are rather fond of discus food too.

The way to make sure your little bristlenose gets his full share, is to drop in the wafers just after lights out. Bristlenose are nocturnal, he'll have no trouble finding the food, while your discus are busy sleeping :wink:

fish_r
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:23 AM
do u feed the wafers at night ? "lights off" thats the best time to give them the wafers.
i find with my bn's that they eat the food i give to the discus IE: bloodworms,brine shrimp and beef heart and feed them wafers about once a week if there lucky...

Dearra
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the replys. I have only put the wafers in during daytime. I will start doing it at nighttime just before I go to bed.

I have never seen him eat anything at all since I bought him. He doesn't do much at all really except being glued to the side of the tank. I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought I would see a bit more movement from him.

Thanks again
Dearra

gro
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 05:40 AM
i think you'll find with time he will do more, almost like he has to build up his confidence.

i have one in my african tank - he doesn't do anything as i am sure he is scared! ( i think the others ate his mate!)

i have one in my discus tank for around 8 months now and only lately have i been seeing heaps of him, now that he is a bit bigger!!

gro