PDA

View Full Version : temp problems

luvmydiscus
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:39 AM
Okay, my tank has been at 80 degrees since I got my Discus. I have read that they should be at 82 min, so over a few days I have increased the temp slowly. While this was happening I noticed my Discus getting quite stressed and would not come out to the front of the tank like it did at 80 degrees. I also noticed it splashing a bit like it was scared.

I checked my heater, all is fine with it. So now I am lowering it back to 80 slowly and the fish is alot more at ease.

Is it okay to keep this tank at 80 degrees instead of the higher temps if the fish seems happier??

Amy

Bill T
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:58 AM
How many fish do you have, and how big is your aquarium?
As you increase water temperature, you reduce oxygen content, so it's important to have an air stone or spray bar agitating the water surface to increase gas exchange.

luvmydiscus
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:59 AM
The tank is a 20 gal with 5 neons, 1 baby bristlenose and I use Aqua Clear Filter.

So yes if I want to increase it I should use an airstone, never thought of that.

But I think I will stay with the 80 as the fish seem happy and I have not had any problems with this temp.

Thanks for your reply...... :D

FishLover
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 02:35 PM
How many discus in that 20 g tank?

luvmydiscus
Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:36 PM
One..... :D