PDA

View Full Version : In relation to Australian Water quality and many LFS

weird
Sat Sep 18, 2004, 11:19 PM
I was shocked to see 3 LFS DIRECTLY adding tap water from a hose and water conditioner to each of their display tanks, and some of these tanks contain discus.

I understand that they have many tanks, and using a holding tank may prove costly to implement but wondered what effect this would have on the fish ? Would it weaken the fish ?

Can water conditioner act that quickly making the water safe ? Is this the common procedure used in all LFS ?

kevkoi
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 12:24 AM
There's 20 000L of water sitting and ageing at the back of SLS... It takes a heluva lot of space and space is at a premium in Sydney and especially at SLS! :lol: (now if we could get rid of those drums... we could have another bank of 12 tanks for MORE discus... LOL)

It's however worth it when u have over $20 000 worth of discus stocks sitting in the shop at any one time!

MOST regular tropical fish and tough cichlids will tolerate a straight tap water change so long as not too much is done at a time.... but we find that it helps a great deal to age the water.

There is no "standard practice". We do whatever needs to be done.

kev

weird
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 06:30 AM
I am so glad to hear that SLS is using storage drums.

The 3 shops I saw and asked, do not use water storage drums, and their stock are definitely not as healthy looking.

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 06:53 AM
Gold Coast water ( when not in drought) is quite good for Discus

I age my water at home just because i have the facilitys to do it and it means I have a great stockpile of water in an emergencey

the unfortunate things is alot of LFS stores have staff working thier to sell fish and thats it.

they might not know the difference, or know better.......

Sad but true

dreamer
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 09:42 AM
i use straight tap water for water change with hot+cold water combination then add prime with no ill effect for the last 1.5yrs, so i guess it works pretty well for me. living in tiny apartment doesnt give you space for water storage :?

my discus and angel are fat and healthy and breeding 8) i rather use the space for tanks ... or else i might have to grow up the babies in bath tub :lol: :wink:

kalebjarrod
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 09:48 AM
thats a point the LFS you saw may have been useing a Hot Cold mix and RO or some other filtration

Proteus
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 02:02 PM
I am in a (very overcrowded) unit as well...

and there are alternatives... :wink:

weird
Sun Sep 19, 2004, 11:47 PM
Awesome water storage container Proteus, where can I get one like that ? I will need one in about 2 weeks when I start doing water changes on my 4 footer.

Proteus
Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:24 AM
Bunnings...

150L

200L

300L

:wink: