PDA

View Full Version : Squiggly white things on the fins of my tetras

RKeen
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hey guys

I have this problem with both my cardinals and rummynoses at the moment. They have small squiggly white worm looking things on their fins. At first i thought it must have been fungus or white spot but i have treated the fish 3 times now and still the fish have them. I will try and post pictures I have no idea what it is its really starting to annoy me. Also 2 of my fish have had growths on there mouths like tumors or something. I have a 200L planted tank and was wondering if anyone knows what they are and how i can treat them.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:45 PM
Ryan, I really need to see a picture before I can advise you any further. Do the growths on the mouth appear to eating away at the flesh?

Posting your water paramaters would be a help too, as well as what other tankmates you have in there, and your water changing routine.

RKeen
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 04:55 PM
At the moment there is 4 Rummynose, 8 Cardinals, 2 Peppy bristlenose, 2 juvenile Blue Diamonds, 2 Bronze Cory and a random Swordy from cycling the tank

I really cant get a picture of one my digital aint flash and they move mighty quick all i can describe it as is like a small white 'S' on ones anal fin or pectoral its about the thickness of hair.

The lump on the mouth of the cardinal definitely arent eating away the flesh. They seem to be slowly growing but im not sure how serious it is.

Tank Parameters i know are

pH 6.8
temp 27-29
will post the others when i get them
do approx 25% water change twice a week atm

I have been feeding the fish frozen blood worms and these red colour enhancing bits i got from a LFS im not sure of the name.

Other things i have been using in the tank are Flourish excel (once every 2-3 days), Seachem Prime and Seachem Acid Buffer. Also adding some DIY CO2 but have got lazy on that one in the last few weeks and barely any is going in.

Last time i treated the fish was with Aquarium Science Multi Purpose Remedy at increased temps of 30-32 degrees for 7 days initially it seemed the problem was gone but about a week later these things appeared again.

Really starting to bug me as i have 2 lovely Discus in quarantine awaiting to get in there but dont want them to end up with problems.

Thanks for your help

Ryan

Bill T
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:58 PM
Why don't you catch one of these fish & take it to your lfs for diagnosis? Or perhaps a fish competent vet?