PDA

View Full Version : A few Hospital Tank questions

dimka100
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hi,

I don’t have a spare small tank that I can use as a Hospital tank and was thinking of using a 20litter bucket.

Considering the bucket will be aerated by an air stone or a small water pump, how long can a small to medium single discus survive before the water need to be changed?

Also is it better to use water out of the tap which has been preheated and treated with a conditioner or water out of the aquarium which is low on nitrates?

Also is it better to use an air stone in a bucket or is the small water pump a better option (will there be to much current)?

Please share your thoughts and experiences regarding this issue.

Thank You

Dimitry

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hi Dimitry. Using a 20 lt bucket will be fine for a small fish, although it may get a bit spooked every time you look at it, so a glass or heavy plastic cover will be necessary to stop it jumping out.

One of those big clear plastic tubs sold in supermarkets and two dollar shops would be good too. Ask for something with "food safe" plastic.

I'd go with an airstone, rather than the water pump. The circulation will be too great in such a small container.

You'll need to change the water at least daily, and I'd use pre conditioned water straight from the tap rather than used tank water. I assume you'd be adding medications to the water, so a filter probably wouldn't be an advantage. Just stick with the airstone.