PDA

View Full Version : Tubifex for discuses!

Fisher
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 05:17 PM
Hell to everybody!You know that one of the best food for discus is Tubifex!It is a big problem to get it?so i tried ti breed it a lot of times,but no results!Here is one method of breeding it:NOW HOW ABOUT "REPRODUCTION?
These worms are not able to regenerate lost body parts, nor do they break into two or more parts to form two or more individuals. They are not asexual.
So these creatures reproduce sexually. The sex organs are found near the ventral part of the body. Each worm has a male and a female reproductive system. In other words they are hermaphroditic.
After copulation, which involves the transfer between the two individuals, the sperm is stored in sacs located behind the female reproductive opening. These fertilized eggs are then shed as a cocoon. The whole cycle is a little more complex then described here but you get the general idea.
The eggs within the cocoon develop within a few days after being shed and the development of the worm is complete, it is hatched a fully functioning worm.
THE HATCHING BOX
I have tried several different arrangements to hatch out and grow tubifex worms, the best one for limited space is to build either a plex-glass box or as I did a plywood box and seal it with fiberglass fiber and Resin. The one I use is 4ftX4ft square and 12 inches deep. This box is built with an open top. In the bottom of the box I put 4 inches of fine washed sand. The kind used in swimming pool filters.
You can find and buy this sand almost any where and a one hundred lbs bag is enough. This box in my room is placed on a concrete floor in an out of the way location.( Ja is there such a location in a fish room?).
I have two overflow pipes made of pvc cut into the sides of the box at the waterline these are in turn piped to a 40 gallon tank mounted 3 feet above the box. A third pipe cut into the box picks up the water through a pump and lifts it to the forty gallon tank above which is filled with foam rubber, the pump takes the water out of the box to the filter and the other two pipes return it to the box.
In the filter box I have ten air stones going full tilt at all times. Mounted on the four sides of the worm box I have four spray bars that keep the surface moving at a fast current rate 24 hours per day.
The rest is easy.. I started the culture with ½ Lb. of cleaned red tubifex that had been super cleaned with running water. These were then added to the sand bed and left for a starter culture.
The trick to this is that after about four generations the parasites that might remain have been flushed out of both the worms and the system. So each generation is exposed to fewer and fewer parasites or bacteria.
FOOD AND FEEDING THE WORMS.
The worms require super fine grain foods almost if not a fine powder. I use just plain fish flakes that are powdered by hand. Sometimes I also add egg noodles and make them into powder. This is fed very lightly to the worms. Do not over feed or the sand will become nasty stuff and hard to clean. I stir the sand about once each week to float anything that is not eaten back into the water flow where the filter gets it. The worms large and small quickly fall back to the sand bottom with out going out the over flow. You always have a few dead worms that occur, and the worms tend to ball up in one location or another in the box. When I see this I simply stir the worms up again, this frees the dead ones from the ball, ( if you doing it right ) you won't have many and they are carried out the overflow.
With just the one box I get about ½ to 3/4 lb of worms every two weeks. I am thinking about stacking two or three boxes over each other with just enough space between them to let me work the worms.
I have never found any of the hatchery grown worms to carry tapeworms or any other problem. It just requires some space and a little extra time each day to grow these favorite foods for discus."I've do all this-but it didn't work!
Here is My Question-If someone know to breed tubifex,i ask to inform me!

:oops:

taksan
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 10:17 PM
Its not 1985 anymore these days Tubiflex worms are proberbly the worst Discus food. Feed bloodworm or live blackworms.

sunshinediscus
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:43 PM
When i was a kid i collected tubifex worms for a loooong time and fed massive amounts to all my fish which btw NEVER got sick. the worms themselves are clean and healthy , it's the enviroment they are raised in that causes the problem. Breed the worms Fisher and you have a good clean food source. As for blackworms ( carriers of tapeworms and also leach's) and bloodworms ( grown in filth as a general rule although home grown ones are great, also can carry metals) avoid them if you want healthy fish.

Fisher
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't agree with you.I've been practizing fooding Tubifex diring last 5 years,but i haven't got any problems with my fish.I clen my Tubifex with ozone filter(45 min/day) from any of bad vermins or microbes.After this Tubifex is clean and ready for fooding.I don't see some propositions for breeding the Tubifex! :oops: :?:

taksan
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:11 AM
I don't agree with you.I've been practizing fooding Tubifex diring last 5 years,but i haven't got any problems with my fish.I clen my Tubifex with ozone filter(45 min/day) from any of bad vermins or microbes.After this Tubifex is clean and ready for fooding.I don't see some propositions for breeding the Tubifex! :oops: :?:

If you think they are so good for "fooding" you eat them!
Tubiflex worms live in $hit, eat $hit and are equvilent to feeding your fish $hit.
The only bad vermins I'm seeing round here is the bad advice.

taksan
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:13 AM
When i was a kid i collected tubifex worms for a loooong time and fed massive amounts to all my fish which btw NEVER got sick. the worms themselves are clean and healthy , it's the enviroment they are raised in that causes the problem. Breed the worms Fisher and you have a good clean food source. As for blackworms ( carriers of tapeworms and also leach's) and bloodworms ( grown in filth as a general rule although home grown ones are great, also can carry metals) avoid them if you want healthy fish.

I guess I'll be avoiding them
NOT !
Leeches ..... lol

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:22 AM
Thirty years ago, when discus first started to become available in Australia, we all fed tubifex worms. In fact we were told that tubifex was all discus would eat.

We all dutifully lined up at the local aquarium shop to buy our few serves of stinking tubifex, that had been collected from the sewerage run off from pig and poultry farms, carefully carried them home in a bucket with ice in the water to prevent them spoiling on the trip home, then installed them under a dripping tap in the back yard.

I remember it all too well,. The foul water they lived in, the endless rinsing before they were suitable to feed, the stench when the worms went off, and the beautiful discus that developed mystery illnesses after gorging on tubifex.

Would I feed tubifex worms today ????????

NEVER.

I value my fish too much, and there are much better alternatives that have been developed over the last 30 years.

I have no wish to step back in time.

Merrilyn
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 11:38 AM
Fisher, weren't you saying in another post that you are having trouble getting your discus pairs to breed?

Perhaps it might be time to change the diet.

gingerbeer01
Wed Jan 10, 2007, 08:10 AM
Reminds me - My Dad used to keep his tubifex in the toilet cistern. Where else do you get regular running water without wasting it.

I love the thought of people finding a few runaways after visiting and running for the worming tablets. :twisted:

Steve