PDA

View Full Version : Moss

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:38 AM
Hi,

Just wondering what kinds of moss can be obtained within Australia. I've only really seen Java Moss and then only in very limited supply at LFS. What little I have was from catching up with someone from a forum.

I've been looking and have found:

- Christmas Moss
- Willow Moss
- Flame Moss

All look great but I've not seen them for sale here?

Cheers,

Chris

Proteus
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:41 AM
All are illegal imports.

I have seen some Xmas moss around, but it seems it isnt a very good variety/strain as it dies off very easily.

There is one store that claims they have it, but it is nothing like Xmas moss when you see it in person.

There are a few native mosses but I can think of the correct names. You could check with Dave at www.aquagreen.com.au he may have something or know of other varieties

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:35 PM
Reason I'm asking is that I came across this:

http://www.killies.com/Truthaboutmosses.htm

Wouldn't mind having a go at this

Proteus
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:04 PM
Link doesnt work.... bugga

enigmatic
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 10:35 PM

Weird, worked for me as soon as I saw your post but now it has gone. Now getting a 404 for that page and also "under construction for the domain"

Google cached the page but not the images.

How weird.

AQUAMX
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 08:18 PM
Hi

Best spot to check out and id common mosses is www.aquamoss.net

Xmas moss and Taiwan moss i know is around if you ask the right people. Australia is host to hundreds of native mosses. You simply need to research, collect and grow out for yourself. Some will work and some will die off.

Most mosses of the world are found in many countries. This was recently discussed at the last edas plant club meet i attended.

Cheers

enigmatic
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:18 PM

Link working just now

enigmatic
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:20 PM
AQUAMX,

Thanks for the link and the info. Will keep an eye out for some and try growing.

Cheers,

Chris