PDA

View Full Version : Electric Dream discus

stonedavid
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 12:52 AM
Hi guys,

Am wanting some info on a strain of discus called Electric Dream. Never heard of it and have been given the option to buy some that are coming into the country. All i know is they are yellow based and thats it. These wld be juvies so if anyone has a pic of an adult it wld be much appreciated. Think they are from Tony Tan stock.
Pete

Proteus
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 04:40 AM
My personal experience with Tony Tan discus is the use of hormones and colour enhancers... that is all I will say on the matter.

stonedavid
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 07:31 AM
Hmmmm will have to check that out further, if they are Tony Tan stock and enchancers are used will look else where. In this day and age there is no need for anything like that. Thxs for the info Proteus. Will keep searching and see if i can find a pic of them.
Pete

cichlidfan
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 11:51 PM
Here is my two cents worth, that if it means anything:
Tony Tan is a very good breeder who wins a lot of major competitions with what I believe to be very good fish, but what one has to realise is that the fish used in competition are non commercial fish, that is, these fish are picked when small and raised to what the breeder believes will be competition standard and only a few of these fish are picked from each spawn.
Not every fish in a spawn is regarded to be competition potential and it is these fish that become the commercial entity, and are sold to the importers/exporters etc.
If one wanted fish of the calibre of these competition fish one would have to pay an arm and a leg, as also the Electric Dream being a new variety like some of the Albinos that are being bred o/seas they will be expensive until there are more breeders breeding these fish and are made available.
There are some breeders that use hormones and colour enhancers to make their fish more saleable to the unaware, but I think it is up to the individual as to what he/she wants, as one can say if they want hormoned or unhormoned fish.
Allan

stonedavid
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:33 AM
Thxs for that Allan, I personally dont like hormones being used on fish, but this is only my view.

Tony Tan does have a very good reputation in the competetions overseas and since putting this message online have done some enquiring of my own with contacts overseas.

Outcome is 50/50, some say he was using hormones as did most of the asian breeders but in the last couple of years due to the demand by the buyers not wanting hormoned fish there has been a change in using them. That doesn't mean they aren't using them only that there has been a reduction in the use of hormones. Weather this is true or not, unsure???

Will keep enquiring about it and will have to view the fish and take it from there when they get out of quarantine.
I dont suppose u have a pic of the elusive electric dream do u lol.
Pete

mistakes r crucial
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 06:59 AM
LR knows all about hormoned fish. Speak to her and I'll guarantee you won't go anywhere near them.
MAC

stonedavid
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 09:38 AM
Yeah i know LR has had problems with hormones before and they are detrimental to the fishes life span. I like to get as much information about the breeder as possibly before i purchase fish.

Am open to everyones comments but if the overseas sources do come back saying hormones are used, wont be getting them. Better to be safe than sorry i say.

Dee
Sat Jan 06, 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Stonedavid,

Just thought I would let you know there is a post in the SimplyDiscus.com photo forum of a Electric Dream discus. To me it looks like a refined Pidgeon Snake. HTH

Cheers,

Dee :D

stonedavid
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:39 AM
Thxs for that Dee i put a notice with them and got a pic back , and yes i do agree with your thinking.

Pete