PDA

View Full Version : new dscus with spot

pepp76
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:05 PM
Hi everyone,and merry xmas..

I recently purchased 5 small discus,2 red turqu's and 3 diamond blue's,since getting them home i have noticed that the 2 reds each have a small white spot on there tails.I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this as these are the first discus i have kept.
Unfortunately i dont have any pic's at the moment to help id the problem but just wondered if there was any common cause to explain this.

thanks,pepp76..

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 12:38 PM
That's a difficult question Pepp. It's a bit like ringing your doctor and saying you don't feel well, and asking him what's wrong !

We're going to need a bit more information from you. White spots on the tail can be anything from a repair in the fin rays, after damage, to white spot disease.

Tell us a little about your water parameters, and the size and placement of the white spots. Are they confined to the tail fin only, or are there others appearing on other parts of the body now.

A picture would be a really big help if you can manage one, but if not, describe the symptoms as fully as possible.

pepp76
Sun Dec 31, 2006, 07:37 PM
Hello again Ladyred,

I think it's the dreaded whitespot disease,there is only one dot on each of the 2 discus infected on there tails,but earlier today i noticed that 3 of my blue rams which are in the same tank have developed a white spot on various fins,i also have a pair of peppermint bn's in there which are worth a pound or 2!!very stressfull!following advice from my LFS earlier on i have started a 6 day treatment of PROTOZIN.
Do you agree with this course of action?

P.S,sorry for mentioning other fish type's

thank's,pepp...