PDA

View Full Version : My New Discus! Yay!

sammigold
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:06 AM
Well, I went out today and bought this beautiful lady... I have no idea what strain she is but if anyone out there sews they will know what I mean when I say she is like shot silk/satin.

She is this apricot brownish colour with a pale blueish sheen... blue face... anyway... here she is... she is still settling in so it will be interesting to see how she goes after a few weeks...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/100_5199600x450.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/sammigold/100_5204450x600.jpg

anyway I love her... she is very big too. about 16cm

scott bowler
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:24 AM
looks good sammi looks like some sort of ghost ,but they dont usualiy have the ring around the fins so im not shore no one i have seen ,it is a nice fish though

G-1000
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 08:29 AM
Yep

Scott is right that is a ghost based discus, although I think it has been crossed to something too maybe a BD.

G

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sammi, she's gorgeous, and such a lovely shape.

I think she's a blue ghost, but I'll do a bit of research and get back to you.

sammigold
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you! As soon as I saw her I fell in love... so a blue ghost possibly... I wish you could see the true colour..it just doesnt show in the photo...the outside tip of the pectoral fin is like a really deep red ... I just love her... she makes my others look tiny. lol and I thought they were a pretty good size.. ha ha.

Zbiljc
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:00 PM
...or is it that?
Braun Barra Mass

scott bowler
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:14 PM
wow they look great sammi it does look like the one one the left not as bright but you could get it to that with good food and good health .

bun
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:25 PM
:D What a beauty! looks great, I haven't ever seen one like it.

sammigold
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:38 PM
Wow, that is what it looks like!!! even the little speckles on the tail....I am sure once she settles in we will get a better idea of colour. she does have that really deep orange around the outside ring of her fins...and the blue face...and the ring of dark grey/black.... Wow!!

Thanks Zbiljc

sammigold
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:54 PM
Zbiljc,

I tried googling but could find nothing on this strain... could you send me in the right direction.. I would like to find out abit about the history... how that colouration was derived etc... thanks...
sammi

Zbiljc
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 05:19 PM
that is mixed discus. I have never heard from wich line, but I think that it is from GHOST and etc.
That line is from Germany.
Raised some years ago, first young discus were couple of thousand Euros.

scott bowler
Tue Jan 02, 2007, 08:09 AM
hey sammi how is the new fish going it should have its colour out and settled in by now can you give us a up date .. this is a very nice fish IMO if the colour comes out in it . hope you had a good new year

sammigold
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:10 AM
She is settling in well except that I havent seen her eat yet.... I did see a pooh yesterday so she must be eating when I am not looking.... I went back to LFS and bought some tetra color bits as that is what she was eating before... and have also bought some live black worms to tempt her to eat in front of me... Once I have seen that I will be alot happier... Her colour has not changed much yet.. the ring around the fins is more pronounced and the orange/red around the outside is quite bright... will try to get some more shots to post...

thanks for asking scott.. :-)

sammigold
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 02:11 AM
ps. thanks I did have a good New year.. I hope yours was cool as well!!!

scott bowler
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 07:47 AM
thats ok sammi and yeah it was good thanks .sound like she is going well then so keep us posted thank you

DiscusEden
Fri Jan 26, 2007, 02:06 AM
Is she settling in Sammi? How's she looking now?

sammigold
Sat Jan 27, 2007, 12:16 AM
I will try and take a pic this weekend... she has settled in and taken over! But not in a bad way... she lets everyone know that she is boss without picking on anyone constantly... she just stands her ground or should I say " swims her water" LOL

samir
Thu Feb 01, 2007, 01:40 PM
Sam your fish is a virgin red. came across it in penang discus. feed it with colour bits or the hikari red for discus and the brown portion should turn red like the couple in the above pic. Its originally from an accidental cross between a blue faced ghost and a brown discus from bangkok.

sammigold
Fri Feb 02, 2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks Samir, she currently gets tetra colour bits as part of her diet, so we will see what happens ....

cheers,
sammi