PDA

View Full Version : Good quiet air pump

enigmatic
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 01:53 AM
Hi,

Just wondering which way to go with a good, quiet air pump. I bought a Stellar unit when I first started but it vibrates like crazy so hardly gets used.

When I got my second tank, I was given to units with the tank - 1 is an Aqua One VT-8 which I will use occasionally and the other is a Gong Yang Bang HP-400 which will likely go in the bin. Both have variable output but again are far too noisy to operate.

What is the way to go? I'm torn between a Schego and an Eheim. I see ASA have the Eheim on special but what is the consensus?

Cheers,

Chris

Nathan
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 02:14 AM
ive heard the eheim ones are excellent.

i use stellar ones ive never had a problem with them as long as they arent against a hard surface like the wall then it will vibrate against it an make a loud sound.

but yeah id go the eheim, ive heard nothng but good thngs about them

FishLover
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 04:07 AM
Whisper has good ones. They look like a bug with 4 legs and the unit is stanging on 4 legs with rubber feet. very quiet.

Seaview
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 04:20 AM
Rena also make a silent air pump, I use one in my room tank and you cant hear a thing from it.

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 04:51 AM
I'm using several Eheims on my tanks.

Adjustable airflow, and dead silent.

I really like them.

jim from sydney
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:48 AM
i think you should

a....consider how much air you need
b....check your budget
c.... shop around, i run Atman on all my tanks, they whisper and are much lower in price than most.

good hunting.

Proteus
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 05:57 AM
For me in order:

1, Eheim
2, Rena
3, Stellar

enigmatic
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:10 AM
i use stellar ones ive never had a problem with them as long as they arent against a hard surface like the wall then it will vibrate against it an make a loud sound.

I've got my Stellar inside the stand of my tank and it is resting on a piece of foam an inch thick. It still resonates through the stand. Must have a bad unit. :?

enigmatic
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

I think I will go with the Eheim unit and take advantage of the special prices at ASA.

Cheers,

Chris

taksan
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 11:56 AM
The Eheim ones are the best by a country mile.

Del
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 07:57 PM
I have two and forget they are there - they are so quiet!

DEL

samir
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 06:34 AM
my eheim has started to "rattle and hum" :? maybe its kept in the wrong place. still the best pump out there

ryan
Sat Dec 30, 2006, 09:57 AM
you wont regret the eheim option - well worth it in comparison to all others