PDA

View Full Version : prices

undergroundcult
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:07 AM
ok i know that the price if differnt for the differnt pattens
but are they cheper the younger they are.

DiscusEden
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 02:56 AM
Generally, yes, if they are smaller (and therefore usually younger) they are cheaper than a larger (and therefore older) fish.

The exception to this is a runted fish, which is smaller, but can be older. It is sold by size, so is cheaper than a larger fish, even if it is the same age.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
DiscusEden

undergroundcult
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:11 AM
how much of a price differents is there

samir
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 09:33 AM
depending on quality and strain a 5cm fish would cost anywhere between
$10 - $200 (could be even more). For an adult fish of 12.5 cm multiply price by about 10.
so if your 5cm costs $10,roughly your 7.5 cm will cost about $30, 10 cm about $60, 12.5 $100 and 15+ around $150.

G-1000
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 10:48 AM
I think with discus, as with other fish - they need a fairly high degree of care when younger. This is probably the largest determinate of the price. For example, to have a 5cm discus it might be say, 3 months old and cost like 20 dollars. You might also have exactly the same strain in 10cm and its 9 months old for say, 150 dollars or something.

The reason for the price difference is not just the size of the fish, but what that represents i.e the breeder has had to perform many many water changes and feed that fish for the 6 extra months that it would have been in their care to grow to that size. Obviously you have to foot the bill to essentially compensate for this extra work.

G