PDA

View Full Version : pleco problem

luvmydiscus
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 10:24 PM
In my current tank I have a small regular pleco. I have been watching it and noticed that it will often try and suck onto my Discus.... :evil:

Of course this cannot happen and I want to keep my tank nice and clean what can you suggest that I do??

My tank does have gravel with some artificial plants, 5 neons and my one Discus. Should I trade this brat in for some cory cats?? But what about the algae on the glass etc

Need your help please......Amy

FishLover
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 11:22 PM
take the pleco out before it kills your discus!

luvmydiscus
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:07 AM
what can i have in there that will keep algae at bay??

luvmydiscus
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 12:17 AM
Okay, I can get a BN pleco instead. Would this work better or will they still attach to Discus too??

Ben
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 07:41 AM
what can i have in there that will keep algae at bay??

Otocinclus would be good, make sure they are not too small as they might become discus dinner!

Dee
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 08:33 AM
Common BN :)

samir
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 08:47 AM
But what about the algae on the glass etc

the most effective algae eater is a sponge attached to a hand, as it moves over the walls of your tank the algae will miraculously disappear :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

luvmydiscus
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 11:04 PM
Well I got my baby bristlenose last night. They sure are cute... :lol:

With my first Discus I had an Otto cat and it was always sucking onto the fish and I am pretty sure that is what killed it in the end.

I honestly have never had good luck with Otto cats anytime, they can be nasty little beasts from my experience.

I have had a BN before with other fish and never had a problem so hopefully this will be the same again. The Discus is so much better today, swimming all over with those vivid colors a showing. I solved the problem before any damage was done..... :wink:

Thanks everyone for the replies..... :D

lesley
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 07:18 PM
I have three plecos and several bristlenoses in with my discus. These types of fish need wood. I have never had a problem with them attaching to the discus, however, if there was no driftwood, maybe it would be different.

I find that they do clean up the algae, I hardly ever have to clean the glass, and they clean up every scrap of uneaten food. Mine will push the discus away to get at a choice morsel on the floor of the tank, but I find that they co-exist very peacefully, the discus are not worried by them at all.

HTH

luvmydiscus
Fri Dec 29, 2006, 10:54 PM
That is great to hear. I do have driftwood in my tank plus I also have a ceramic thing that my BN loves to hang out in. I wish they would stay this small, 2" they are darn cute..... :D

I also give it a small piece of a algae wafer every second day. Last night I could not find my Discus and that darn fish was inside this ceramic tunnel eating the piece of wafer after just eating a belly load of blood worms...

I hope this all works out better, I love the look and size of the BN much better and was glad to get one as they don't come into our LFS often.

:D