PDA

View Full Version : Adding Hydor heater to Fluval canister filter

Rgoganj
Tue Dec 26, 2006, 10:25 PM
Hello all,

I trust we had a good Christmas. :P

I've purchased a second hand Aqua one AR850 and after a week of buzzing and rattling for the powerhead I've had enough. :x
(Otherwise it's a good little tank)

I have a Fluval 204 which I'll be using to replace filtration, plus as a bonus is I can add more lights when I remove the rear
trickle filter box, only thing with lights is do I go Power compacts, T5 or T8.

Since it will be a planted tank not looking to over filter the tank anyway, but will need to add a internal filter/powerhead for a current.

So finally to my questions. :?

1) Using the Hydor external heater with the fluval is it better to use the spraybar or the output nozzle.
I will need to purchase spraybar or nozzle either way (Hint : anyone selling)

2) With the Hydor external heater, how do I add the inline heater ? (It was so much easier with the Ehiem filter)

3) What would be a good internal filter, only need it to create a current.
I did have a Otto but found it to be noisy.

Thank you any input would be greatly appreciated

Rob :D

taksan
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 01:30 AM
Hydor external heaters ...... ummmm don't work

Bill T
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:12 AM
I've got one & it has been working well for about two years. I do find if the water flow rate drops on the canister filter, then the water temp. drops a bit.

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hi taksan,

Hydor heater doesn't work with fluval ?

seecuta
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 08:37 AM
ive got one hooked up to a fluval 404. been running perfect since day 1.. which is about 3 years ago.

i was very pleased with this heater that i actually bought 2 and they've both done well.

as for the 404 you'll need new hosing to run it through the inline heater as the flexi hose that comes with the 404 wont do. you can get any 18mm clear hose from bunnings for about $3/metre.

Rgoganj
Wed Dec 27, 2006, 09:38 PM
Thanks seeca,

Do you use the spraybar or the nozzle ?

seecuta
Thu Dec 28, 2006, 05:56 AM
nozzle. either will work but for a planted tank go the spray bar directed into the glass thus reducing surface agitation.