PDA

View Full Version : Discus only eats brineshrimp

clineb
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hi all. Newbie here (although I'm now 6 months deep into this hobby, so maybe I'm slowing shedding the noob status :wink: )

I have 4 discus...4 different strains (colors makes for a great presentation tank)...for the most part, I've had good luck with these fish and nothing has really gone wrong. They are all pretty hardy when it comes to meal times, are starting to grow steadily, and seem to always be really active.

The slight problem is this: I have a leopard, which I purchased a few months ago...and he's awesome! However, unlike my other 3--who will eat anything at anytime--he only seems to be fond of eating brine shrimp (although he does go *crazy* for it!).

He doesn't really go for the blood worms/black worms and flake food like the others. Even after the initial "mad scramble" for food when it enters the tank, he doesn't even scavenger the ground like the others if the meal is not brineshrimp. Is there anyway to help him vary his diet, because I know its important to give them a good mix of food.

Otherwise, will he be OK just chowing down on brineshrimp?

Thanks!

ryan
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 09:08 PM
have you tried taking the tank off food for a day or two and then only feeding bloodworm? ive found with the discus if the bloodworm (frozen) is put into a feeding cone they 'graze' at it instead of the mad rush

Nathan
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 11:52 PM
id try an do what ryan said, the best way is not to offer any brine shrimp an he'll eventually hav to eat whatever your offering.

i dnt think its a good idea just to keep him on the brine, even though brine is an excellent food for discus they still need more variety to have a healthy diet.