PDA

View Full Version : some advise please.

fish_r
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 12:06 AM
hi
just about to take the plunge and have a go @ breeding, as i have 2 pairs of breeding discus now.
going to use my 3 foot tank for the breeder 36x18x18.
going to use a sponge filter but not sure what size to get ? and what size air pump to run it. i do have a small 1 outlet jebo airpump for emergencies, would that be big enough, or should i get bigger and better ?
was going to cable tie a white sponge out of my fluval cannister around the sponge of the new sponge filter to speed up cycling and so it's white.
is that ok...
anything else i should know about the setup of the beeder ?
i have read the sicky's on water params etc..
thx
Rob........

ozarowana
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:02 AM
Rob

I use hydro sponge III's on my 2x18x18 tanks. They are about a 10cm diameter and about 12-13cm high and that is plenty for a pair. Any sponge around that size would be fine IMO.

Just add some dirty water from your cannister and let the sponge suck up the bacteria for a few days. I stir up the bottom a bit too as alot will settle out. Vacuum out the rest of the gunk that settles on the bottom. This will give you a huge amount of biological capacity. If you have ammonia you can add a little and see if the filter can convert it.

Do a big water change and add your pair and off you go. You will probably need RO water if you want to increase your success rate.

HTH

fish_r
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 09:51 AM
thx for the reply oz :)
the reason i was going to add the white sponge was also cause iv'e read that the filter sponge should be white so as the fry dont mistake the sponge as a parent and attach to the sponge.
if i have to use RO water i might give it a miss cause i cant afford to spend too much money on this set up :(
thx again
Rob....

stonedavid
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:18 AM
I would just put them in the tank and give them a couple of surfaces that they can choose from, wldnt even look at RO systems, you may not even need it. Let them go, as the first couple of times you may not get anything out of them ie egg eating, not fertilised etc. Light coloured sponge is a given, or wrap it in filter wool.
Pete

fish_r
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:18 AM
thx Pete
going to give it a try i think, one pair has laid about 8 times now, but havnt had any fry get through. there in community tanks @ the moment.
the other pair are on there second lay, latest was this morning laying about 100 eggs on the driftwood again :)

ozarowana
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:23 AM
Is it true that Adelaide water is pretty hard?

Also I just pull my sponge out went they go free swimming and leave an airstone. Once they properly attach to the parents I just pop it back in.

chris
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 09:42 PM
It is the moment, more rain is needed for sure.
Last year out the tap it was around 7.4, I found it alot easier to get spawning under way, but this year I had to really monitor water parameters. Chris

fish_r
Sun Dec 24, 2006, 08:16 AM
yep the Adelaide water is pretty hard, last time i checked it was off the scale, but since adding the flora base substrate in my other tanks it has just about halved what it was, can u have substrate in a breeding tank ?
cause the substrate also lowers my pH to about 6.5
tap water @ the moment is pH of 7.

samir
Sun Dec 24, 2006, 08:34 AM
thx for the reply oz :)
the reason i was going to add the white sponge was also cause iv'e read that the filter sponge should be white so as the fry dont mistake the sponge as a parent and attach to the sponge.

a simpler way to do this would be to remove the sponge after the fry hatch, add an air stone and drop the water level to the height of the fish.
when your fish spawn stop feeding and do not feed them again till the fry attach.
once the fry are strong enough and sensible enough put the sponge back in, gradually raise the water level and start feeding again. after you take the spone out its important not to feed them at all.
HTH
Samir

chris
Sun Dec 24, 2006, 11:04 PM
I use substrate in my breeding tanks, I try to make these tanks similar to there community tanks. Ive found it takes less time to adjust if they have lived with substrate for a while.
Heres some pics of my attempts last year

fish_r
Mon Dec 25, 2006, 12:03 AM
thx for the info guys, i appreciate it :)
will use substrate then, when i can afford it.
here is a pic of one of my pairs last lay.