PDA

View Full Version : discus fighting

sonflowerjoela
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 12:49 PM
At my LFS they suggest taking all the fish out rearranging the tank a little and putting them all back in. I have this problem with both of my discus tanks. The one tank has 4 red snakeskins and there is one I call red who stays to itself but when the other 3 come around it is pecking and body slaming them. The other 3 are more blue than this one. I don't really think that matters. They all came from same tank same size. I also have 3 cobalts when I first got them one of them picked on the other relentlessly. I only had 2 then. I bought a 3rd and it calmed down some but this fish still remained dominant. Now the 3rd fish I bought has become the dominant one. He has grown larger and he has taken over. I've had discus for years and it has always been like this with all I've had. Don't know why. All the books I've read talk about how peaceful they are. Not Mine. :wink:

ryan
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 05:50 PM
its a good suggestion, I used it a while ago when introducing new discus I re-did the tank (plants etc) into new positions and left the light off for a day or two, then gradually build up the light hours over a few more days - maybe try a bit of darkness as well

your plants wont like you for it - but it may help out the fish?

discus lover01
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
i used to to take the dominant one out for 3 days and then put it back in and this worked as the aggressive one lost his place on top of the chain and would be much more placid then