PDA

View Full Version : 6 foot fish tanks

fiftycal
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:16 PM
What would the best way to get a fully outfitted 6 foot fish tank be, including lights and filtration?

Would it be cheapest to get a complete Jebo R129 system from ASA, including cabinet, for 1750. or would it be cheaper to buy a normal rectangular aquarium and fit it out myself?

If I were to outfit it myself, what lighting is recommended? I had a look at the lighting systems on ASA, and it would cost almost as much to outfit a tank, than to just buy the complete system! I dont know if it costs so much for lighting on the ASA website because its quality stuff though, since I have damn little knowledge about aquarium lighting.

What filtration is recommended? Even if I were to get a complete system, I would like to get a slowish canister filter, so I can fit a UV steriliser on it. Would a sump system be advised for a "normal" system? Even if I were to use canister filters only, I would still like a 500ish l/h one for a UV steiliser.

All in all, what is the cheapest or best route for a 6 foot tank?

Cheers
-Pete

Robdog
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 04:03 PM
There's a lot of questions here but I'll have a go at a few of them.
For pure convenience, the 6ft Jebo would be a good start. You get an entire lighting package that is easily upgraded to better globes when you learn what you want out of your lighting, a top trickle filter which when filled with better (than the stuff supplied) media would probably do very well with a moderately stocked tank and you get a good looking curved glass tank and cabinet for $1700ish
If you don't know what you are after then this is probably a good entry point but you will become limited by the amount of things you can do with it as your skill in the hobby progresses.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm tired

Robdog
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 04:04 PM
Oh yeah and a 500l/hr filter won't do squat for a 6ftr

Proteus
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:55 PM
There will be a lot more lighting options available on ASA in the New Year, there will also be a lot more tank options as well (including some very stylish units, similar to the Juwel tanks, but at 1/3rd the price).

In regards to your exact question a few more things need to be taken into account.

A 6x2x2 will cost you approx $400 with lids

Then you will need a cabinet (on a tank this size I would steer clear of stands) depending on style, colour etc etc anything from $400 to $900

Quad 6ft T8 slimline light $200 (including tubes)

Filtration, either 2 x Canisters or a sump, at least $500

So in effect, assuming you didnt opt for cheap and nasty, you are looking at an initial cost of between $1500 & $2000

When considering a tank of this size, take your time, make sure you know what you want, it would also help if you advise what you want to put in this new tank.

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:02 AM
I wanted a 500 l/h canister filter simply to put a UV steriliser on, since apparently is more effective if you have more exposure time.

I was thinking of putting about 10 or 12 discus in, with about 40 or 50 rummynose and 2 bristlenoses and 2 siamese algae eaters.

Theres no way im gonna do everything on the cheap, since discus arent cheap to lose, but a lower price for a tank/lighting/cabinet/filtration would be damn helpful. Probably a better question to ask is whats the best value for money?

Roy
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:11 AM
For a tank that size i personally would look at:

Glass tank with Cabinet and matching hood stained to your preference.
2 large cannister filters (Fluval FX5 or Eheim equivalent).
2 x 300watt heaters.
As for lighting, depends if you are planning on plants and what type etc. Thats a whole other kettle of fish.
In regards to UV, i run mine on 1,000 ltr/hr cannisters, for a 6ft tank you would want a big UV, current designs allow for good contact time so you should be able to run large filters on them anway without needing another filter to run it.

As others have said, you could also use a sump with overflow, more filter media and you can hide heaters in there etc. Plenty of options (which doesnt help sometimes).

Roy

Proteus
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:20 AM
The other thing is, what you may consider value for money, or cheap or not cheap could mean something totally different to someone else.

I have set up 6ft tanks in the past for less than $1500, on the other hand, I have spent well over $4000 on one of my current 6ft tanks, and it still isnt complete yet.

Having a budget from the outset would be an advantage, as that will allo you to get what you need, also allowing for upgrades or changes in the future.

I personally am a big fan of getting everything oversized, i.e. if you need a 1000lph canister, I will get a 1200 or 1500lph canister, it is better to do this from the outset than have to ugrade later. You can usually tune things down a bit, but you cant really increase them... if that makes sense.

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 01:51 AM
I was thinking of using a 36w pondmaster UV steriliser. Would one work sufficiently with a 3500 l/h sump pump?

What about 1 Eheim professional 3 2080, instead of 2 FX5s? How much would a sump with pump, etc cost compared?

I guess my budget is around 2200 or so, not including heaters or substrate or plants. Those come under a seperate budget lol.

Im thinking of getting pretty simple plants, such as amazon swords and some dwarf chain swords. Ill be using a sand substrate and fertiliser tabs.

Roy
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:54 AM
Ok if your going with sand bottom and swords with fertiliser tabs then you wont need high light or co2 as they tend to grow ok with standard tubes. Couple of hundred will sort you out there for a T8 unit.

I use 11w Pondmasters with my cannisters, if you decide to go a sump then the 36w should be fine with the pump you have listed, remember that headheight and piping will reduce the flow, hence the actual contact is more than you may think.

When comparing sumps to cannisters you need to think about what will be visible within the tank, with a sump you can hide the heaters better but generally need some bulkheads in the tank, changing the visual appeal etc. With cannisters you need to make sure you can get them into your cabinet, nothing worse then finding you cant get the hoses connected as its too tight (trust me on this one! ) whereas a sump can be built to fit. Price wise, sump with media and pump, prob pretty comparable to the cost of a good eheim or two FX5s.

Hope this helps a little more Pete.

Roy

DiscusEden
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 05:39 AM
Hi,

I don't know if this helps, but Tam has an Aqua One R180 on sale here for $800 with the cabinet - in the classifieds, which sounds to be only a few months old, with some of the equipment you'll need. It's down the bottom of the current page of classifieds.

I've just bought a new one of these myself, and been asking many of the same questions you have. If it's any help, I've gone for the Eheim ProII 2028, with a Pentair AquaStep 25w UV steriliser (thanks ASA!) - still on sale (just). This might be overkill, but I figure I'd rather get too much than have to upgrade again later. Oh, and 2x 300w Jager heaters.

I'm curious to see how you go with this - good luck!
DiscusEden

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:27 AM
I'm still not sure if I should get a sump or canisters lol.

Ill prob get everything at ASA/Xtreme, although I might get the tank/hood/cabinet somewhere closer, since I dont think ASA offers delivery for their tanks.

I was originally going to buy Tam's AR180, but he has decided to keep it.

I dont really mind where I have the heaters. I would place function before form. Im going with 2x 300w Jager heaters.

Now I gotta do some fish tank shopping lol. I think Ill only make a decision once ASA updates their stock next year lol

Proteus
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 08:32 AM
Xtreme will deliver, where abouts are you?

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:11 AM
Oh sweet!

I live in Glenhaven 2156, next to Castle Hill.

Does xtreme sell cabinets and hoods as well? I cant find any "normal" ones on the ASA site lol

How come 2 FX5s? Im reading the FX5 vs 2080 Pro3 review, and they roughly hold the same capacity (FX5 has alot more foam whereas pro3 has more room for other media).

Proteus
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:14 AM
The comparison for the FX5 & Pro III was more to do with price.... I think

As for furniture, in the new year an entire range of custom made furniture will be listed on ASA. It is available now through Xtreme.

Hills district, should be no problem at all.... (my old stomping ground... Dural/Galston) Wabecca will have to confirm things re delivery though

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
Wont 2 FX5s create too strong a current for discus?

Isnt 1 enough for the tank? Im a bit worried that 2 will take up too much room in the cabinet lol.

I might head down to taren point sometime to have a look see lol

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 11:23 AM
Hmm now im thinking of going sump lol.

What output pump is recommended for a sump?

Proteus
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
For a 6x2x2 I would personally recommend between 3500lph & 6000lph.

A lot of it comes down to the type of sump, i.e. Matrix sump, spining arm style, baffles etc etc

fiftycal
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 11:49 AM
Wow...

Too many choices!

I think in the end, ill ask xtreme and just do whatever they say haha

FishLover
Mon Dec 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
I personally am a big fan of getting everything oversized, i.e. if you need a 1000lph canister, I will get a 1200 or 1500lph canister, it is better to do this from the outset than have to ugrade later. You can usually tune things down a bit, but you cant really increase them... if that makes sense.

I agree. When I set up my 6 footer, I did not put in enough filter, I ended up adding another cannister, only after spent money on tring different things and water issues. Then I had to upgrade the lighting. After that, it was the UV... You get the picture.

My lesson is don't go for the max rating of the capacity. Go for what you need and do a bit of over kill in terms of size, UV, filter and so on. My rule is take the max capacity and do a 30% discunt, it should be bigger than your tank size. So, if you have a 200 g tank, you need the filter capacity of 260g to make things good. Same thing goes to the UV size.

You can use a powerhead to push water through the UV. That way you don't have to select a filter too small for the tank. You need something to move the water around for that size of a tank anway. Extra powerhead will do the trick.

fiftycal
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 02:05 AM
Whats the difference between the different types of sump, and why would it affect the pump power?

Oh man, the LFS has an AR180 with stand for 1700...so tempting

fiftycal
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 06:36 AM
Hmmm now im thinking of getting 2 FX5s, since its simpler than getting a sump lol.

Would FX5s create too much current for discus? im thinking of having one either side of the tank, with the outputs in the middle and intakes at the ends.

Do FX5s come with filter media besides sponge or am I going to have to buy about 130 worth of matrix?

fiftycal
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:48 AM
Wow...I just saw a vid of the FX5's output, and read some comments about it, and it seems as if 2 FX5s would be too powerful. Are you able to turn down the power of the pump??

Now im leaning towards 1 Eheim pro 3 2080, especially considering it comes with all filter media

Proteus
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 10:53 AM
The Pro III comes with no media at all.

You cant turn turn the output on the FX5, only way to minimise movement is to deflect the flow off the sides or back wall of the tank

fiftycal
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:08 AM
Oh lol.

Would a single FX5 do the trick? What biological media is recommended? Im worried that seachem matrix might hamper the flow too much, which may cause problems for the pump.

Damn I ask alot of questions

fiftycal
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hmmm, I read that you want between 3x-10x turnover per hour for a tank. A single FX5 turns over 2300 l/h with just the foam, which is about 3.4x turnover. It will be less after matrix, etc has been added.

Assuming its 2300l/h, then 2 FX5s will make the turnover 6.8x per hour, which is rather reasonable

However, I havent kept discus before, and I have read that they dont like strong currents much. The video of the FX5 output makes it look really damn powerful...

FishLover
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 04:00 AM
You can use sprey bars to reduce the current.

fiftycal
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 05:36 AM
The FX5 doesnt have spray bars, instead it has a "multi directional output nozzle". Are you able to put spray bars on an FX5? I havent used a canister filter before

man im so confused

taksan
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:40 AM
Just get a pro3 ....and save the hysterics

Proteus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 10:55 AM
Just get a pro3 ....and save the hysterics

lol

Straight to the point as always

:wink:

Tunnel Rat
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yep go the pro3 with a 4000l/h Wayne Matrix sump that combo will love you long time :lol:

Rat

Proteus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:22 AM
love you long time

Have I just tuned into the Comedy Channel??? :monkey

good lub lub for you

fiftycal
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:50 AM
1 guy says pro 3, then 2 posts down someone else says pro 3 with sump?

Pro3 doesnt have the pump speed that apparently is needed to turn the volume over

I found that there are spray bars for fluvals. If the FX5 is too powerful for them, ill drill the holes a bit larger so it isnt as strenuous on the pump. I might go 1 spray bar and 1 nozzle.

Ive pretty much decided on 2 Fx5s with 1 or 2 spray bars, with about 2L each of matrix, and the rest ceramic noodles. 1 pondmaster 36w UV. 6x2x2 tank from prob xtreme. 1 quad 6ft light. 2 300w Jager heaters.

Can xtreme paint the hood/cabinet black, or do they only sell it raw or stained?

Proteus
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
Can xtreme paint the hood/cabinet black, or do they only sell it raw or stained?

You can pick any colour or finish you can think of, it can be done...

painted, stained, laminate, etc etc

fiftycal
Wed Dec 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeet

Can I get a picasso or monet on it?

Tunnel Rat
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 09:59 AM
1 guy says pro 3, then 2 posts down someone else says pro 3 with sump?

Pro3 doesnt have the pump speed that apparently is needed to turn the volume over

I found that there are spray bars for fluvals. If the FX5 is too powerful for them, ill drill the holes a bit larger so it isnt as strenuous on the pump. I might go 1 spray bar and 1 nozzle.

Ive pretty much decided on 2 Fx5s with 1 or 2 spray bars, with about 2L each of matrix, and the rest ceramic noodles. 1 pondmaster 36w UV. 6x2x2 tank from prob xtreme. 1 quad 6ft light. 2 300w Jager heaters.

Mate that sounds good & will work great BUT !
If it was me I would be going one FX5 for mechanical filtration & a sump for the bio.
If money is a issue just go a sump with two 40mm bulk heads for the sump inlets not overflows.Then you can add a FX5 later.
Most people building new tanks these days go the sump way just look at all the systems running in your LFS all the new shops run sumps.

Rat

fiftycal
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hmm you have a good point.

Lol, most of the LFS's use sponge filters, however the more reputable places I have been to use sump systems.

Money isnt really a problem, its just that im so over budget lol. I think ill follow your recommendation and go with a sump with overflows, then later on add an FX5.

What is a matrix sump, like you have recommended? Its basically a typical sump with matrix type stuff instead of bioballs right? Wont it be insanely expensive to fill it up with matrix?

Are sumps easy enough to use? Is there any specific height I have to put the water at, based on the power of the pump, or is any height above the overflow enough?

Cheers

fiftycal
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 08:14 AM
Hmm I might get an Aqua One 2200 or 2400 instead of an FX5, since it wont create as much of a current, and is a bit cheaper.

A total of about 6000 l/h (4000l/h sump pump and 2000 or so from an FX5 after media is added) concerns me about the current produced. Should it be fine?

Proteus
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 08:52 AM
I have both the FX5 and Aquis 2400....

Although the 2400 works well, the FX5 is a better product

fiftycal
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 09:38 AM
I think im more concerned about the current than the overall quality of the filter right now. Would a 4000l/h pump and an FX5 create too much current for discus?

Roy
Mon Dec 25, 2006, 12:15 AM
You can mitigate the curernt through the use of a spray bar or by angling the output towards the glass.
Personally i like a spray bar pointing at the surface to assist with oxygen exchange.

Roy

fiftycal
Sat Jan 06, 2007, 01:37 AM
I just talked heaps with my dad's friend, who used to breed discus. He said I shouldnt get a canister, and should just go for bioballs in the sump only, since its tried and tested and easy to clean and should be more then enough.

Proteus
Sat Jan 06, 2007, 05:05 AM
Easy to clean.... well yeah, I guess I clean my sumps out maybe once every 12-18mths (bioballs and pond matrix)...

fiftycal
Sat Jan 06, 2007, 06:49 AM
You have a point there

I figure ill just go all bioballs 1st, then if needed I can get matrix or experiment with other things. In the meantime, I can use the money to get a bigger sump, which might end up being a better option, since it might allow for similar bio filtration capabilites, yet would allow for future expansion.