PDA

View Full Version : How Often would do you need to clean ur gravel?

iro11a
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:11 AM
I recently brought a 1200l per hour canister aqua one filter and i dont think it gets alot of the stuff up from the buttom as well as the internal filter anyone else have the same problem?

I brought a canister to save a bit of time and improve water quality,well it has inproved water quality but i'm stilling cleaning the gravel the same amount as before any sudjestions on how i can change things around?

I have pointed the outlet to the water surface to get some oxygen into my tank because a air pump is far too noisy.

blue diamond Pete
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 03:30 AM
I removed my undergravel filter when I started my discus. Cleaned the gravel throughoughly and only replaced about 10 - 20mm. Now while I am doing water changes twice a week I vacuum the small amount of gravel. It is still clean and never is there any sediment left to be stirred up.

goldenpigeon
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 03:39 AM
if you have a well planted tank then you dont need to clean the gravel. if you only have light planting or no plants at all then you need to clean the gravel regularly.

iro11a
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 06:05 AM
My tank isnt that heavy planted i was just exspecting more out of a canister filter thats all

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 07:06 AM
canisters clean the water but not nessecarly the "floaties"

try aiming the canisters flow in different dirrections, this may have a slightly better effect :wink:

Davo
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:34 AM
Golden pigeon,

If you have any type of planted tank you will still need to vacuum the gravel. I have had a lightly planted tank and now have a well planted tank and if I did not vacuum the gravel the algae would go beserk.

Dave.

Grae
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
I can only comment on my tanks

I am a planted tank guy so all my tanks are pretty heavily planted.
I never vacuum the gravel( has anyone tried to vacuum ada substrate?)

I have no algae problems.
I dont keep discus though.

Graeme

goldenpigeon
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 12:53 PM
Golden pigeon,

If you have any type of planted tank you will still need to vacuum the gravel. I have had a lightly planted tank and now have a well planted tank and if I did not vacuum the gravel the algae would go beserk.

Dave.

Dave you shouldn't have to gravel clean (well very infrequently anyway) a well planted tank. If you have dense vegetation it becomes near impossible to vac without disturbing root systems anyway.

If your gravel vaccum is taking that much debris out of your substrate and in a well planted tank, i suggest you investigate what is actually comming out of the substrate as this should not be an issue in a well planted tank. Perhaps you are feeding too heavily? I guess it also depends on how you define a "well planted tank".

David

Davo
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:13 AM
Are we talking about cleaning the surface of the gravel or actually pushing the gravel vac into the substrate.

I only vacuum the surface of the gravel to get rid of plant debris/mulm etc.

Regards,
Dave.

aquafrogstuff
Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:29 AM
Dave/Dave,

I have a reasonably well planted tank with pool filter sand substrate. I have a large cannister filter and rarely gravel vac. If I do its to get rid of bits of wood, fish mess and dead leaves. It's more for aesthetics than necessity.

Dwayne