PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Clean Out!

ryan
Fri Dec 15, 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi all

Todays the day for the cleanout - growing plants has never been something this tank has had a problem with - its keeping them within the tank that the problem is - they just grow too quickly!

So today I figure its as good as any to have a xmas cleanout and get more structure back into the tank, its a little jungle looking at the moment.

Attached are the pics prior to the clean out and I will post more later on as Im interested in peoples feedback.

Im relatively new the the forums - but would appreciate comments from people on how they see I could improve.

Here they are

[/img]

luvmydiscus
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:19 AM
Wow those are healthy plants, what type of light do you use. Do you also use a Co2 in there?

:D

Mattzilla
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:20 AM
awesome looking tank

well done

ryan
Sun Dec 17, 2006, 05:34 AM
lights are compact fluros 4x50w & 1x90w - yes plenty of co2 in there as well for good measure

enigmatic
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 04:30 AM
lights are compact fluros 4x50w & 1x90w - yes plenty of co2 in there as well for good measure

Nice tank and great Discus!

Are the lights DIY or off the shelf?

duck
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 04:44 AM
Looks good.

but would appreciate comments from people on how they see I could improve.
Are you asking how you can improve the layout?If that's the case.
I would put the lotus to one sideor take them out completely as they take up alot of room
Get some stem plants to line the back bascilythe midground i would use the chain you have or some babytear's or some pearling grass then i would get some hairgrass or something a bit smaller to the very front.

ryan
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 08:02 PM
yes the lotus do take up alot of room - though I must admit Im a big fan of them - Ive given them a good prune since the last photos and they look alot better now

Ive also added a red barclaya (though one territorial discus didnt like it too much at the start!)

the lights are off the shelf - aqualina branded - not cheap (or are they the dearest going around) but as a happy in between to mh Im very happy with them

tanks due for a clean today so Ill post some more pics up then

Andy123
Mon Jan 01, 2007, 07:19 AM
hello
i was just wondering how much a co2 system would cost and do they do much good(is it worth getting one for my 165L tank). How big is the tank..
Andy

AQUAMX
Wed Jan 03, 2007, 09:04 AM
Hey Ryan

Its good to see these pics here, look much better than on your phone. I cant wait to see the new layout im sure the plant growth will continue on strong whatever you go with.

Cheers mate

Brad

ryan
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 10:27 AM
hi all

heres the updated pics - Ive been away for a while so the tank hasnt had the attention it needed, but all growing pretty well

an addition to the tank I added was a red barclaya - after stripping out 2 bags of grass I actually found some room at the bottom to plant something! it took a little for it to establish with the leaves starting to disintegrate, but it has now started to shoot off - even looks like its going to flower? Ive attached pics for comment

the layout of the tank hasnt changed as much as I thought i would change it - its pretty much the same, just a trimmed up version

thanks
ryan

ps - the flare on the top of the lotus is only from the camera phone I have taken the pics from - its not really that bright!

duck
Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:31 AM
Thats looking good.