PDA

View Full Version : Photo Tips

Robdog
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 06:47 AM
For those out there with DSLR's and even some of the good point-and-shoots, what is the best way (settings etc) to photograph fast moving fish like tetras?
8-)

scott bowler
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 07:06 AM
does it have a sport mode or can you increase the shutter speed ,if you do have a sport mode i dont think that you can use auto i think its manial not shore , jus t make shore your delpth of feild is right so the back ground is not in focus and the fish isnt . i hope this helps a little dog

Robdog
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:46 AM
It seems every time I turn up the shutter speed all I get is black or dark photos. Might be jacking it up too fast I think.

sammigold
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 09:56 AM
Are you using flash... I think you have to use flash when you up the shutter speed.

Cuong
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 02:13 PM
Easiest option would be to use the on-board flash but diffuse and soften the lighting with a layer or two of tissue over the flash. Diffusing it reduces the blown out flash look.

If you wanted the more serious option, then look into an external overhead flash. This allows more control of your lighting and since the light source is from above (like the sun) it gives you a more natural look.

Both options will allow you the light for fast shutter speeds (at least 1/125 with fast tetras etc)

Robdog
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 02:20 PM
What kind of shutter speeds are we talking about here. 400, 1000??

samir
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 02:39 PM
if you go 1000 indoors you will either need the flash or keep adding lights to the tank till you get a brighter picture.

Cuong
Thu Dec 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
I usually start at 1/200 to 1/250 and adjust from there but that should be enough to 'freeze' the subject.

Although when shooting with tetras, I've found they look best when they have paused slightly. When they're darting their fins are dropped back and aren't extended in the nice photogenic way.