PDA

View Full Version : New tank, so i need some new fish!

mcloughlin2
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 07:18 AM
I just recently closed down all my tanks to make room for a 6ft.

It holds about 550L all up. Its a 6x18x2 (diamensions are not exact as its a all in one tank.)

I'm tossing up ideas on what to put in it. I was going to go frontosas or discus again, but i cannot afford the prices and i would like a lower maintenance tank.

At this moment in time I'm liking the idea of a tropical display tank alot. I'm thinking things like neons, guppies, few other species of the smaller tetras.

I'm also considering a all out guppy tank but i don't have a clue how many i could fit safely in there.

So basically what I am after is

1) A list of tropical fish you would put in the tank
2) A approximent number of fish i could fit in there

I will be running 2 cannisters most likely (1500Lph each) so filtration will be good.

I'm only considering fish that are on the smaller side (smaller tetras, livebearers etc)

Tank will be planted, though I won't be bothering with co2 and all the fertilizers. If you have a picture of a tank similar to the one I'm thinking about doing please post them

Sam

FishLover
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:33 PM
Guppies and smaller tetras have shorter lifespan. I think most guppies will last about a year or so. You can breed them in the tank but the colors will not be as good since you have no control of who is pairing up in a big tank.

Robdog
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 02:25 PM
200 cardinals Amano style. Central rock layout with hairgrass surrounding.

FishLover
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:01 PM
200 cardinals will run you into at least $400 - $600. Not a cheap option at all. You can get 12 3" discus less than that.

I would go for rainbow fish. You don't have to change water as often as Discus yet some of the rainbows are really pretty.

Robdog
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:21 PM
Probably a big initial outlay but in the long run, a lot less maintenance than 12 discus.

mcloughlin2
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys.

This project has been delayed until the new year when i come back from my holiday.

I'll see if i can take a picture of the tank as it is at the moment for you guys.

Sam

KillieOrCory
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:38 AM
Just toss couple of pairs of a killifish in there and overtime they'll have a self sustaining population going for you.

It would be great to observe males sparring.

I have pairs not touching their fry in a 15 litre tank so in a 6 foot overtime you'll probably have 50 or so in there without you trying to do anything.

Having said that I got a guppy only 6footer that I am in the process off pulling apart at the moment. I only keep the females in there and scoop them out and have them "seeded" with my stud males and put them back in the 6 footer. I scoop the fry out every week. I get or used to get 100+ fry out of this tank every week.

Anyway have fun deciding,

Serkan

Robdog
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:05 AM
How about a large apisto colony?

mcloughlin2
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 02:58 AM

I was thinking of that!

But what size colony could i fit?

:D

mcloughlin2
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 10:36 AM

I'm thinking of 50-100 blue/gold rams perhaps?

Maybe another 50 neons for tankmates?

I have no idea but i like to plan ahead

goldenpigeon
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 01:03 PM
i think cardinals are an excellent option.

i think that if you put live bearers in you are going to get the shits sooner or later as the little tackers breed like rabits - then you have 5259875497856975587 fish which are 6743565235 different colours! dunno about you but i would be ripping my hair out within a month! The quality of the fish would also decrease with the unselective breeding. JMO...

Robdog
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 03:09 PM
Well 50-100 Rams is not an option IMO and at around $10-$20 per fish is more expensive than cardinals and wouldn't look any good either.
You said you just wanted a tropical display so I take it that breeding anything is not high in your priorities.
How about you go for a SA biotope tank. Sand substrate, tannin water, lots of woodwork, leaf litter etc

samir
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
How about you go for a SA biotope tank. Sand substrate, tannin water, lots of woodwork, leaf litter etc
with 6 large wild discus

Robdog
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 03:22 PM
Bingo!

Th0mas
Sat Dec 23, 2006, 11:22 PM
And don't forgets the cories - they're great as long as you don't intend to breed fish in the tank.

Robdog
Thu Jan 04, 2007, 07:30 AM
Any decisions made Sam?