PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Butt

Stripe
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 PM
I have 4 Red Turqoise (3-4inches)in a 90 gallon planted tank which I do a 30% water change once a week. Three of my discus seem very healthy and happy, but one of them has developed a bulge just above his anus and has not pooped since we have noticed this. It looks as is there are red hairlike strands protruding (approx 1 mm) from the anus. I first assumed that he was constipated and have reuced their feeding considerably and added 9 tablespoons of epsom salt to their water. I am beginning to fear that the red protrusions may be some type of worm, but only because of what I have been able to find on the internet. To me it just looks like he is plugged up, he is not showing any signs of stress and still wants to eat more than I am willing to give him at this point in time.

Any help or suggestions would be more than appreciated at this time.Thx.

sammigold
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:36 AM
You could try Epsom salts at a rate of 1 teaspoon per 40 litres. This should help him expel any blockages.

The symptoms you describe certainly do sound like camallanus worm. for this type of worm infestation you would need to use a medication called levamisole.

Where are you located? as if in Australia you cant get levamisole from aquarium you need to buy a product called 'Big "L" Pig and Poultry wormer'.

there is a thread on levamisole in this illness and med forum so I suggest you read that.

Also here is a link about camallanus worms
http://www.2cah.com/pandora/camallanus_kevinpiper.jpg
(To the moderators...I am not sure if I am allowed to post this pic as it is copyright so please delete if inappropriate.)
This is also the link to the same site that discusses this worm...
http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

hth

Dee
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 12:42 AM
Hi Stripe,

Sammi's on the money there mate. Avoid levamisole that contains glucose and you should be fine. Best of luck with the fish.

Cheers,

Dee :fro

fishgeek
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:42 AM
prehaps too early for me to comment
i do believe the suggested diagnosis and treatment is correct

if you can not source levamisol straight away then i am trialling fenbendazol aspanacur favourites at present

these are chewable tablets(more like a soft stock cube) for dogs and cats
i have been using them at no particular dose, primarily to see if they are eaten by the fish and that they do not kill the fish nor damage the water quality

so far i have used 1000mgs in a 200 litre tank over a period of about 10 days
published dose's for fenbendazol suggest 2mgs/l as a permanent bath
or 50mgs/kg orally

the reason i was trialling these is that in england anyway , shirley's and bob martins produce products very similar to panacur's with exactly the same active ingredient that is available over the counter at supermarkets and pets stores

does anyone know the situation in australia?
prehaps another alternative? though not much use if the fish is not eating

andrew