PDA

View Full Version : sounds too good to be true..is it?

chrisf
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 11:33 PM
Have also seem an advert for some treatment which seems to do everything
http://www.edkins.com/amquel+.htm

Is this stuff as good as it says, havent heard of it before.

Merrilyn
Sun Dec 10, 2006, 04:55 AM
That and several other products will do the same thing. One that comes to mind is Seachem Prime.

It also removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia nitrite and nitrate and heavy metals from the tap water.

They really do all that, but you still need to keep up with your water changes :wink:

FishLover
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:52 PM
Amquel + will change your pH a bit. I used to use it all the time till I found that one out. I'm now using Prime and has no compains. Plus, it is much cheaper.

endless
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 07:39 AM
prime also changes your ph. I was doing a test on how much prime decreases nitrates by and found out that it didnt decrease it by much at all. I also found during the experiment that it does decrease your ph

FishLover
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 02:56 PM
Endless,
Are you sure about Prime decrease the pH? I tried mine and it did not change pH at all. What I did was simple, I fill a cup with tap water, measure pH, put in some prime and measure pH again. It did not change much at all.

Proteus
Thu Dec 21, 2006, 09:49 PM
Prime does not affect pH.

If you test it in a small container of course it will give strange readings, it needs to be dosed correctly.

In regards to the Amquel plus product I dont know if it is still available as the most recent info and listing I find on Google are from 2003. (never seen it in Aus for that matter)

ozarowana
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 12:35 AM
Prime (and other products) does not remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate etc, it only detoxifies them by binding to them. You will still get readings on your test kits (depending on how the test kit works).

These compounds and others that prime binds to will be released after about 24hrs in a tank situation. This is because prime is degraded in this time and releases the bound compounds. I always only use prime in my storage barrels just prior to doing water changes.

You will need to redose if ammonia and nitrite is a problem. If your bio is working then it should remove the bound ammonia and nitrite within this time period.

Quote from seachem tech support forums.

Prime does act as a "24 hour band-aid" binding to nitrogenous pollutants rendering them non toxic. Prime, like other water conditioners/ammonia binders, tends to biologically degrade after this time period and may need to be re-dosed to keep these pollutants bound until such time that your biological filter consumes them (keep in mind that even though ammonia and nitrite may be bound by Prime, your biological filter can still consume them).

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/index.php

Dee
Fri Dec 22, 2006, 01:44 AM
Prime (and other products) does not remove ammonia, nitrite and nitrate etc, it only detoxifies them by binding to them.

Hi Oz,

I was just about to post the exact same thing, there seems to be a misconception that these products remove these compounds ... they only bind.

I didn't know about the 24 time frame, great info OZ ... thanks for posting :D

Cheers,

Dee :D