PDA

View Full Version : removing ugf

Wistrick
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 10:15 PM
I am thinking about removing my ugf from my discus tank and had some questions

The tank is an all glass 65 gallon tall.

1. Should I just remove the risers and powerheads or should the plate go to? I am worried about releasing a anarobitic pockets and killing off my discus.

2. If I upgrade my xp2 to an xp4 will this give me enough filter on this tank???

3. Should I leave the ugf in place and operational.

Was thinking that without the ugf, growing plants would be alot easier

Thanks in advance for your input

FishLover
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 10:45 PM
1. take out the plate then do a 50% water change. I did that without any problem.

2. xp4 is rated over 200g, xp2 is rated to over 70g, you will be fine.

3. no, take out the ugf if possible, especially with plants.

Wistrick
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 10:50 PM
so should I upgrade to the xp4?

Wistrick
Sun Dec 10, 2006, 08:01 PM
I am a little worried about aeration and 02 levels without the powerheads running on the ugf. I ordered an xp4 today? How should I position the spraybar on the xp4 for best o2 levels without out gasing the co2?

FishLover
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:20 PM
Place the sparybar just below the water surface, aimt the stream up toward the surfacr to create water movement. If you can see the water surface movement, you are ok. That way you should have enough gas exchange take place for the discus.

Wistrick
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks, u don't think the xp4 is overkill for this tank? I could alway swap it for the xp3 on my oscar tank.

FishLover
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:25 PM
I'm a big believer for over shooting filter capacity. I think you will be fine. Just make sure your bio media is ok before remove the xp2.

You may want add some fine fiber in the xp4 to catch the floating things in the water. UGF is good at keeping these things low and once you removed the UGF, you may see some small floating things in the water. Add some fine fiber in the cannister filter will do the trick.

Wistrick
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 05:32 AM
Yeah I was always taught to shoot for about 10x turnover per hour.