PDA

View Full Version : dirty water

g.c.discus
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 02:18 PM
no matter what i try my water always has a lot of suspended particles in it. tank is 240 ltr have aqua one 1000 filter, 5w uv sterilizer (in line). change the water 50% every three days. four discus no bigger then 8cms 10 cardinals a bn and 3 corys. have twin 30 watt bulbs lights on 16 hours a day moderate amout of plants. ph 7.00. nitrate 10ppm. have tried liquid clarifyier, changed position of water outlet to cut turbulance. if i feed minimal amout over a few days still a lot of suspended particles.

ellwa
Sun Dec 10, 2006, 09:19 PM
thats a longtime to have your lights on for, try for about 8-10hours.

what do you have in your filter?

that is where the solution will lie

hth

AQUAMX
Mon Dec 11, 2006, 07:17 AM
Hi Mate

A trick that has always worked for me is simply to add a large carbon pouch to your filtration. Be patient as you will not notice the water clearing for a week or more. Slowly the water will clarify but you have to run it for a few weeks.

Use it in the last stage of your filtration. Change the carbon completely after 2 weeks and dont re use it. Run the fresh batch for another 2 weeks and your water should clear up. During this time only have your lighting on for 8-10 hours per day and restrict ferts ,if any to the minimum.

The simplest way to enjoy your tank late at night without extending the lighting period is to but a $6 timer from kMart or similar and have it come on at say lunchtime and off at 10 at night. This allows viewing at night without excessive light periods.

HTH

Brad