PDA

View Full Version : just bloodworms....

Daniel28
Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:47 PM
hello im new to discus and have a few questions id be very happy for any answers.
Will just eating bloodworms stunt a discus growth? also does a UV filter kill good bacteria? like that in the product "Cycle".
ooh and are there any north american discus forums, I'm very happy with this one and will continue coming here but i could get info on local breeders and so on.

thankyou

Merrilyn
Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:13 AM
Welcome to the forum Daniel. We have friends from all over the USA posting here, so maybe someone will be able to give you some info on a local group. :wave1

Bloodworms can form an important part of a discus diet, but alone, they do not provide enough vitamins and minerals. Much better to feed your fish on a variety of foods, both dry and frozen, for good health.

UVs are great. I use them all the time. They will kill bacteria and parasites floating in the water that get drawn past the uv globe They won't kill the beneficial bacteria residing in your filter and on your gravel. If you want to use a product like Cycle, then turn the UV off for a few hours after you add it.

Under normal circumstances, you leave the UV running 24/7.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Dec 08, 2006, 10:28 PM
Hi Daniel,

Simply Discus is an excellent North American Discus forum, http://forum.simplydiscus.com/
MAC

Daniel28
Sat Dec 09, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hello!
thanks for the advice ladyred, I threw some brine shrimp in the other morning and they ate it up, I have 9 babies and i think they are so competitive they now want to eat as much as posible so no one else gets any lol

Hiya Mac I'll check it out thanks!

FishLover
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:56 PM
You may want to add some flake/bits food so they can get their vitams from. Plus, if you are away during the day, you can use auto feeder to feed them with flakes/bits.