PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop them breeding

norto
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:47 PM
Can anyone tell me how you can stop these discus from laying eggs, they
have raised a couple of batches of fry and I would like to give them a rest but even if i take out the cone they lay somewhere else.
Norto. :?

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:14 PM
How about using a divider to seperate them for a while?? - one which they can still see each other through.
Cheers
Elvip

Del
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:15 PM
Spread vicious rumors about the male and the other pretty female you have... he'll have to sleep on the lounge... problem solved! :lol:

Sorry... couldn't resist :oops:

DEL

samir
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:58 PM
sorry i cannot help you on that one. i've tried everything from no wc to low ph to higher temp. i've removed everything from tanks and put the heater right at the bottom but they just spawn on the walls. it does become very frustrating at times especially when you have 4 spawns in one tank, the odd ones out get absolutely smashed. my only option is to remove the eggs before they hatch or world war III breaks out. The advantage of keeping them in as large a group as possible, far outweighs the occasional big scrap so I persist. :?

stonedavid
Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:26 AM
Norto i take one of them out and put them into a same sex tank (ie all fish same sex). They always seem to pair up ok when put back in together. Have tried put different pairs into same tank, didn't work currently got 3 pairs with fry. And bubs are swapping between pairs??? Have used dividers, female ends up spawning on divider. I find it easier to take one away, but some people dont like doing it, but as i have said before each and everyone to their own. Hope this helps. Pete