PDA

View Full Version : Heater and First food for fry

jacksta
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:18 AM
Hey folks,

So i have decided to buy 10 juveniles in a 4x18x18 and let them pair of. my question is if i need ot place the heater in a certain way,as i heard from peopel that if i plce it as suggested on the heater box(vertically up and down)then the discus may lay eggs on it and damage her egg tube and so do you guys place it along the bottom.Also is frozen baby brien shrimp th right first food for fry and shoudl i feed them after 3 weeks on when they are still on their parents.

cheers,jack

samir
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:29 AM
yup mine do that, you're a long way from a spawn, lots of feeding and lots of water changes should be your area of concern presently.

jacksta
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:37 AM
hey sorry misunderstand you,your Discus does what sorry.Yeh i know i'm a long way til breeding but is better to have the knowledge now i think.thank for the reply

Jack

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:20 PM
Discus like a nice stable vertical surface to lay their eggs. To some of them the heater looks just fine, but it's far from ideal.

If you lay the heater near (but not on) the bottom, they will be less inclined to use it, and will hopefully chose the breeding cone that you have provided for them.

Frozen baby brine shrimp is okay as a first food, but much better if you can hatch your own live baby brine. It's not difficult, and the fry learn to chase and eat them very quickly.

Around the seventh day of free swimming is the ideal time to start feeding baby brine shrimp to the fry.

Welcome to the forum. It's good to see someone so enthusiastic. :P

jacksta
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:23 PM
haha Ladyred,i'm still at the stage of finding 12 juveniles for a 4x18x18 tank.Is hard because there are so many good looking Discus but i only can take one type home,stupid aren't i thinknig about breeding already 8-)

samir
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:13 PM
i suggest looking at some of the articles on picking discus. its very hard to find a good discus at an lfs, do your homework before you buy your fish. visit every single lfs in your area and then go back and pick up the best ones. picking healthy discus is of the utmost importance.

stonedavid
Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:15 AM
Jacksta your far from stupid, its always best to think ahead as it saves money in the long run, cheaper to do things all at once ie setting up tanks etc. So it might take 12 months for your discus to start breeding but at least you will be totally prepared for it. Good luck on your hunt for your fish.
Rgds
Pete