PDA

View Full Version : Different pairing.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hi,

This pairing might ruffle a few feathers but I had a spare breeding tank so I thought I'd put it to good use and see what we'd get. These guys were swimming on 16th November so just over a fortnight old. I haven't counted them but there's around 100 in this batch. Love these Albino genes!
MAC

Dee
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:32 AM
Hiya MAC,

Great pictures mate :thumb I think that's a pretty good pairing actually, is the non albino a brown, green or alenquer ? hard to tell when it has it's breeding colours on.

Why would you think feathers would be ruffled by this pairing ? You should get some nice natural looking fish thrown from them ... great work, best of luck with them :D Would love to see some more pics of the fry further down the road.

Cheers,

Dee :D

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:52 AM
Great pics MAC!! :D
Nice looking dad! What is mum ?? - as Dee said, hard to tell from the photos.
Keep us posted with the results.
Cheers
Elvip

Merrilyn
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:17 AM
Naaaah MAC you won't be ruffling any feathers with that breeding.

From what I understand the albino gene is recessive, so albino x albino produces very weak young, Normally the breeders cross albino x normal and the resultant fry are strong and healthy but carry the albino gene.

Crossed back to the albino parent, or sibling x sibling pairing produces a percentage of albino fry.

Sounds like you're on the right track to me.

Those intermediate fry will be very interesting. Keep us posted on their growth.

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:35 AM
Hi Ladyred,
Does the weak albino gene also apply for all albino types eg albino turquoise - so that 2x albino turqs will produce weak offspring???
Would this weak gene also result in lower spawning yields - ie. fry??
Thanks
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:00 AM
Albino X Albino produce weak fry regardless Elvira. You're better off outcrossing and then either crossing the siblings or one of the siblings back to one of the parents. If you cross the siblings you should get 25% Albino and sibling to parent 50%.

The female is a Brown, tank bred I'm sure but a lovely fish and a good Mum. LoL, I say ruffle feathers as I spoke to someone who is a bit of a purist and they reckon it's sacriledge to cross any wild type with anything else. Makes me wonder why they keep/breed Discus at all considering they are arguably the most hybridized fish on the planet.

Thanks for the replies.
MAC

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:23 AM
So MAC,
What do you think the chances of survival of my albino turquoise fry are then???
Currently I have a few that I am artificially rearing - day 2 and they are still alive! :D , and I have more on the way!! The weak gene theory probably explains why the hatching rate is low on the spawns?!
If albino turquoise are a weak gene - will they survive ? Also, for future breeding purposes - should I cross breed any albino turquoise offspring with an intermediate and not between albinos again?

Cheers
Elvip

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hi Elvira,

I lost every single fish out of a batch of Albino X Albino although it did take about 8 months for the last of them to disappear. That's the only experience I've had with them but based on that and information from others I personally wouldn't buy or breed that mix again.

If it were me I would be outcrossing the Albino's to some other domestic strain so you at least have the Alby gene. It takes 18 months to get the result but you will have far stronger fry in the long run and maybe some very interesting Albinos.
MAC

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the heads-up MAC,
It will be interesting to see how I go - it's worth a long-shot.
Will keep you posted.
Please let us know what your batch turn out like - should throw some interesting babies!! :D
Cheers
Elvip :D

scott bowler
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:36 AM
hey looking good mac they are good looking fish and love the albi

mistakes r crucial
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks Scott, Albi's in general are one of my favourite strains so we're looking forward to "playing" with a few of these crosses, keeps it all interesting.
MAC

aquafrogstuff
Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Great shots MAC.

Was wondering if you could tell me what 'regime' you use to get your fish to breed i.e. number of water changes, water conditions, food, temp etc.

Cheers,

Dwayne

mistakes r crucial
Wed Dec 13, 2006, 01:47 AM
Hi Dwayne,

We mix it up a bit with our breeders sometimes leaving them for a few days and then a big water change, at other times we change 20-30% daily. It just depends what we've got going on in the system at the time.

We feed them BH, brine shrimp and our own flake and keep the temperature between 29c and 30c.
Cheers
MAC

samir
Sat Dec 16, 2006, 05:43 AM
what would you think about pairing that, with a san merah female instead of a brown ? wouldn't you get a few red with albino gene ?

mistakes r crucial
Sat Dec 16, 2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Samir,

I can't see any reason why not. That male gets around a bit, we've paired him off with 3 females in the last 4 months and I doubt it will stop there so we might just try a red next batch.
MAC