PDA

View Full Version : What could be the cause????

elvip
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
Hi all,
I have 10 small discus - approx 5months old, and on Sunday I noticed one of them started to very quickly dart about and smash into the top cover of the tank several times - I believe that if the top cover had not been there he/she would have jumped right out!! I have never seen any of them act in this way before :shock:
He/she then seemed to hide behind the internal filter after that towards the top of the tank and gasping for air. Once or twice again he/she darted about again (amazing speed - they can sure move when they want to!!) and remained hiding after that.
Yesterday I came home to find him/her lying on the bottom of the tank breathing very slowly, I netted him/her and placed him/her towards the top of the tank where he/she gasped for air and eventually died :cry:

I am wondering what may have caused this type of behaviour - as all the other 9 babies appear to be fine for the moment.
The water parameters are OK, and I change water every day to second day - to help with growth rate.
I suspect some sort of infection - but what :?: :?:
Any ideas or help would be much appreciated - then I may be able to treat accordingly.
Cheers
Elvip

RJ_Archer
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:19 PM
im not sure if it'd be an infection the others may of been beating it up. it happens with my cichlids but they normaly dont go up the top for air.

elvip
Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:54 PM
Hi RJ_Archer,
I have not seen any evidence of bullying by the others, other than the usual pecking order at feeding time - so I don't think tht this was the cause.
Cheers
Elvip

scott bowler
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:51 AM
elvip it sounds like gill fluck if it darting and breathing fast is it holding one gill plate closed if it is get some sterzin and start treatment hope that helps

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:47 AM
Hi again,
I have to apologise RJ_Archer ; I spoke to a friend tonight who has been dealing with discus for many years, and he seems to agree with your thoughts that it may be bullying, although this may not necessarily be evident at first. It seems that you may have hit the nail on the head!! It was something that I would never really have considered - you learn something every day! :shock:
I have also just noticed another one of the baby discus hiding in the corner behind the internal filter with no other obvious signs of illness etc - so I have decided to remove him/her to another tank away from the offending bully.I was advised to watch the tank more closely so that the culprit might be revealed :evil:

Scott, there are no other obvious signs of gill fluke in any of the other fish, esp in the one that is hiding in the corner. For now I will remove him/her and keep a closewatch on all the others - just to make sure there is no illness present.

Thanks for all your help guys. :D
Cheers
Elvip

Bill T
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 10:51 PM
Perhaps a post mortem by a fish competent vet could shed some light? Especially if the second sickie goes the same way.

elvip
Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:05 PM
I have removed the second discus that was hiding into a larger tank with other different discus - and he/she seems happier and is not hiding anymore and is not showing any other signs of illness - will keep a close eye on him/her.
I will also keep a close eye on any of the others left in the smaller tank to see if any show the same signs - it's like having kids!!! :wink:
Cheers
Elvip

Bill T
Wed Dec 06, 2006, 04:26 AM
In the Amazon jungle, only the strong survive - and apparently so in the domsetic aquarium!