Hi, I'm New Here!

Potassium Permanganate for treatment... Bad effects HELP!!!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and am posting for my parents.
    They've kept aquariums for many years and currently have two 5ft 660L meyat aquariums , with biofilters, UV lights etc - one houses African cichlids and the second a community of discus.
    We've recently noticed one particular discus seemingly struggle for breath, on another discus forum my mother was told this was 'gill flukes' and to treat with potassium permanganate in our small hospital tank - to allow the water to become dark purple and place the fish in for an hour or until he becomes distressed.
    We have followed the instructions, however chose a more medium purple colour for the water, the fish began to become extremely distressed within 5minutes. We removed him from the tank and put him back in the bigger tank where he appeared to be struggling to breath... He has since calmed down however im extremely concerned as it looks as if the treatment has burnt him, even though we added less of the treatment than was recommended. He appears to have lacerations on his side and cloudy eyes, gills are also breathing more rapidly than before. Can anyone advise what we can do to help him, if anything, and what has gone wrong.
    Thanks
    Rebecca

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Usually cloudly eyes has a lot to do with poor water quality , i would increase your water changes to atleast 40-50% per week.

Potassium permanganate is a good treatment for gill flukes , you have to be carefully with the dosage , it's recommended to give them a dose of 2mg/ per litre .

I made up a PP solution by Following this guide http://www.discusforums.com/forum/sh...ndy-s-crystals

You can also use blue planet flukes and tape wormer which is a Praziquantel based medication .