Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Rams spawn

Larvae
    my rams decided to spawn again ... and finger x they are not going to eat it again ... will try to take more pics ...

Larvae
    gone again ...

dont worry they will do it again just keep tryin

Medium Discus
    mine spawned again, too ... this one is heaps bigger than the first, they were a LOT more meticulous about cleaning the slate this time (young parents learn fast I guess), too, hopefully they won't eat the fry this time .... I'll keep the parents in again and see what happens.

here's a little vid

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...rrent=rams.flv
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf4982.jpg  

Larvae
    not at the moment chris ...

still waiting for the next one to come ...

congrats on your new spawn ... fingersx the parents won't eat the fry again ...

I have got my first fry from my rams. Still not freeswimming - probably 2 days off.

Male is a gold ram selected for red face colour and size - I wonder if he is imported due to his size. Female is local bred blue - nice form but like many local bred lines a little small. I also have another female and male from this line.

So I am hoping for some nice golden-blue rams . Actually probably will leave this lot in the community tank with the parents and seperate out in a couple of months after they have had more practice and I can see more of what the other female is going to do.

Steve

Just an Egg
    hey guys

just noticed this topic - how exciting

i had 3 different pairs of rams all lay eggs on friday night - i removed all of the eggs and put them into a container floating in the tank - majority of the eggs turned into fungus but 15 fry hatched and theyre now in another container

the yolk sack is still attached to them - they hatched only on sunday arvo

how long should it be until the sack comes off??

this is my first ever fish spawn EVER!! very exciting stuff - i only started with fish 2months ago now

im going to try and get my hands on some microworms for them

otherwise have any of you heard of using a boiled egg and then crushing up the yolk and mixing it with tank water as food for the ram fry??

might see if my camera is good enough to pick up the fry

cheers,

ren

tank temp is 28/29 and the pH is unaltered (its tap water)

Just an Egg
    sorry, temp is 29/30

Medium Discus
    hi ren
    your temperature may be a tad high for rams, imo. Mine spawned at 26 degrees and became free-swimming (yolk-sack gone) in 3 days and after 1 day free swimming, they got munched by their parents. The latest batch (spawned on friday) should become free swimming tomorrow ... so generally on the 6th or 7th day after spawning they start to swim. micro worms and baby brine shrimp may be too large initially.
    you may want to start up an infusoria culture which takes 3 - 4 days ... you can do that by adding a wilted lettuce leaf or two to some tank water which should be kept turning over with an air stone. it will go cloudy and then clear ... once it's clear, the bacteria (which made the water cloudy) have been eaten by the infusoria. the culture should be good for about a week. the infusoria can be attracted by a strong light and syphoned off with a pipette or straw or a piece of air hose, and added to the fry nursery.
    egg yolk can also be a successful food, but dangerous, as it can foul the water very quickly. best is to let them feed, wait for the yolk to settle and then syphon it off and do a waterchange.
    also, place a small, slowly bubbling airstone in the container, it will turn the water over and thereby effect aeration.