Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Larvae
    Ellwa

Tank looks great. Looks like the silt settled and the water looks clear.

I would call it a a positive result.

Well Done

Peter

Medium Discus
    Hey guyz i got a quickie...

A plant nut and errr horticulturalist i think he is, said that pool filter sand is too fine, and would become anaerobic over time...?

Anybody got solutions to this???

Regards
    Ben
    Benny

Quote Originally Posted by Benny
    Hey guyz i got a quickie...

A plant nut and errr horticulturalist i think he is, said that pool filter sand is too fine, and would become anaerobic over time...?

Anybody got solutions to this???

Regards
    Ben
    That is not true.

Being Quartz based, and due to the shape of the grain, this wont happen unless you have a very very deep gravel bed. This is why you use Pool Filter sand, not any other type of sand. There have been several comments on this on these forums from geologists and long time users of this sand, none have mentioned an issue.

I can also state first hand after using filter sand for over 5 years I have never had an issue with areas going anaerobic (or build up of sulphur etc etc)

Blue Diamond Discus

sand

go down to any aquarium these days . they can order a gravel that is as fine as sand BUT it does not compact over time like sand , and because it is a gravel it does not affect your water perameters
    it is around thirty a bag but well worth it il try and get somepics up soon showing the differance
    cheers
    EX-AI

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi guys, I have just done a quick run around looking at the LFS and Bunnings and some landscape suppliers and am really looking for a pointer to a good supplier of white sand suitable for freshwater aquarium (as per this discussion) in Brisbane - pref soutn/east side...

I don't want to pay a premium - LFS is 22$ per bag and I want to put an unplanted substrate in my 5'x18" tank. So they recommended between 2 and 3 bags.

So far the silica based pool filter sand has been hard to get anyone to acknowledge... Most say their pool filter sand is brownish... but it is $11/20KG and I guess this is a much more affordable way to go - if I can get white...
    Boat Drinks

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Just following this with a lead:

A local landscape supplier has "White Silica Straddie Sand" at $26.25 / half meter - I can bag it for $4 per bag. They couldn't tell me if it was effected by salt - but if it came from Stradbroke Island I suspect it is beach type sand - what do you guys think>?

Can I buy some of this and wash it thoroughly and use it safely or do I need to keep hunting around?
    Boat Drinks

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by stardotstar
    Just following this with a lead:

A local landscape supplier has "White Silica Straddie Sand" at $26.25 / half meter - I can bag it for $4 per bag. They couldn't tell me if it was effected by salt - but if it came from Stradbroke Island I suspect it is beach type sand - what do you guys think>?

Can I buy some of this and wash it thoroughly and use it safely or do I need to keep hunting around?
    UPDATE - foun d this thread: sorry for spurious posting:
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7185
    Boat Drinks

Just an Egg
    Hey guys

i really love the look of sand tanks but ive just got a few worries - mainly that i havent yet seen a tank with sand used as a base without having real plants in it?? not too sure how a fake planted tank with driftwood possibly some rocks might look with sandy base? anyone have any photos of their tanks with sandy base and no real plants?

as good as they look i just dont have the money or knowledge to jump into planted aquariums just yet - my 30watt light agrees:P

another thing - ive currently got two little bristlenoses and they make a huge mess - im told its the wood they eat from the driftwood that passes through... the deal is that theres always a huge pile of 'wood' that appears even 1 day after a good clean and waterchange!! so with sand this would look stand out more and look even worse ?? so i suppose getting sand would mean giving them away :/

still love the look of sandy tanks though and would appreciate any members out there who've got pics of sandy tanks without living plants to post them if possible!! i'm sort of on the verge of giving the sand a go but need a little push of encouragement if i can see a tank that looks good without plants!

proteus, is there any chance of a full tank shot of your tank where you added the pool filter sand just to get an idea how it looks overall - also where did you buy it from in sydney and how much did you pay?

thanks heaps

ren

Just an Egg
    well i went to the lfs this arvo to check out some sand substrates that were available

the guy recommended that i didnt use a light white sandy base simply for the reason that he says it makes the discus appear lighter and not show their colours as well as they would with a darker substrate?? have you guys found this to be true?

still love the look of sandy bottoms though!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    I am washing three 20KG bags of Stradbroke Island white sand now after a week of testing for how reactive it is and finding it to be fine. It is very clean and seems only to need thorough rinsing and pouring off to get the debris out. Very little dust or cloudyness after the first two or three rinses. It also compacts quite quickly so I guess it will be important to get the substrate to settle evenly without getting pockets in it and also to get some shaping to the bed right at the beginning.
    Boat Drinks