Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    of course...

(down the sink)

Mwhahaha

oh, I do water the plants on the balcony...

(luxuries of living in an apartment - if I had a lawn, trust me, it would be the greenest around )

well after washing a few kg's I dont like it...

Too dark, and to many large bits in there, and most are sharp (not rounded) - not good for bottom dwellers like Peppermint BN's...

maybe I might try the pool filter sand...

...added 60kg of Pool filter sand (1mm grade) have 20 more kgs on standby, however I think the coverage is sufficient...

it looks awesum...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn2449__medium_.jpg  

Wrigglers
    Quote Originally Posted by Proteus
    it looks awesum...
    It's nice isn't it?

When I get my 4' back from the repairer, I'm going to try 2cm of 50/50 peat/vermilulite covered with 2-3cm of filter sand. I may also put a bit of laterite in there too. Hopefully then I won't need to put fertilisers in the water - making it harder for the algae.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

does look nice dosen't it

send up the sand with your new fish your sending me

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Well, I couldnt resist....nice pic of sand. I was able to define well sorted and angular clasts of 90% at most quartz. I would side on 85% to be safe Judging by the iron staining on some grains, I would say the black stuff is basalt (iron and magnesium) with some independant grains of white coloured, rounded clasts of feldspars-plagioclase (calcium + potassium?). Its worth the note that the soluble minerals are rounded in this pic...makes me excited to see the difference There are some other unknowns which have have assorted colours and is probably just filling used by the company to dilute quartz content and thus save $$$ All in all, a relatively safe mix with minimal alteration of water chemistry should be enjoyed by this sample. Good porosity and permeability of water and nutrient flow should be enjoyed by this sand with minimal compaction due to the "locking" effect of angular grains in contact with adjacent grains. Hope this helps

Blue Diamond Discus
    It looks great.

Please lets us know what its like when you gravel clean it. Also if it compacts heaps.

As those 2 reasons seem to be why people don't tend to use it.

well so far vaccing cant be easier... just hover the hose end a few cm's from the surface, and up she goes...

as for compacting, I dont see how much more compact it can become (also, I have a few Kuhli loaches and some BN's to scoot around) thinking of getting some Cory's and if possible (and available) Malaysian Trumpet Snails as they are good substrate movers and dont eat plants.

Larvae
    I don't think pool filter sand can compact any more than it is - its sort of designed not to so as pool filters can keep working.

*bump*