Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blue Diamond Discus
    From the reading I have done on the web, the biggest concern of using sand is that it raises the hardest of the water ... and it sounds like using peat will help.
    Dave

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Just a pointer about sand raising pH. Sand is a general term used to describe the size of a weathered rock and generally also contains an accumulation of minerals that contain by nature an assortment of elements...Calcium, Iron, Sulphur, etc.. If you are certain that the sand is derived from the weathering of a quartzite bed further upstream then no chemical alteration of your water will take place. Silicon is relatively insoluble in water and it this element that makes up quartz alone. A simple handlense will show you if you have quartz or some other stuff you dont want. Quartz can be identified by the way it fractures. Geologists use this property in identifying quartz at it has no cleavage but breaks and leaves what we call a "conchoidal fracture":which looks like a broken beer bottle. If you see flat shiny surfaces it aint quartz even though it may look like it. This stuff may alter your water chemistry. If the grains are too rounded when you look at them, break them on a flat surface with a hammer and then have another look. If you have any questions of a sample of sand...send a pic to this post and I could help identify the stuff in it

ok, here is an easy one...

at the local Flower Power they have 3-4 different types of sand...
    (silly me forgot the names of them)

does anybody have a clue as to what is the "right" one to choose.

as much as I would like to go out and source my own, time does not allow this, so if anybody is familiar with what they stock, and hints would be helpful.

Or would I be safer getting pool filter sand??? I assume any pool retailer would stock this???

Pool filter sand, at least here locally, is increadibly great sand to use. Completely safe, and has a nice blend of colors.

I have no idea what the heck a flower power is *LOL*. Sounds like some throwback to the 70s

Blue Diamond Discus
    I read that pool filter sand grains are too fine grain and compacts too easily.
    You could use the sand that is used for children's sandpits.
    Ask for 'sandpit sand' at your nursery or landscape supplier.

Proteus,

we need to find out at least who thier suppliers are

if we know this we can find out which product to buy, or at least mud crab could identify it

Mud crab,

as i said in my first post
    far to many cowboys out there,
    i checked my supplier before use and i get a quartz based mixed, no soil mix is every pure. thats why we check.

i know that if you ask for "WASHED RIVER SAND" in Brisbane and sydney you should get this product ( in a perfect world )

others states you should expect it, but I can't guarantee it
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Ask for 'sandpit sand' at your nursery or landscape supplier.
    Maybe I should wear my clown shoes, and take some lollies...

lol

only kidding... I will check out a few places this weekend

don't ask for sand pit sand MOST peolpe will sell you plarsters sand, beautiful fine white sand

this is FAR TO FINE for tanks, no aireation

understand not all suplliers call the same product the same name, so weird73 may be right in this case, i may be wrong! we may be calling the same product different names

i just know the dealers I use with in Brisvagus and Sydney call it what I call it

this is the best I can do with a "common" name i guess,

moral is ...... FAR TOO MANY COWBOYS SELLING FAR TOO MANY PRODUCTS CALLING THEM ALL THE SAME THING!
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Testing your sand for undesirable nasties is quiet easy. One easy test for calcium content (which is the main one in topic at the moment) in a sand sample is to dose with about 10% diluted hydrochloric acid...thats why old car batteries are good. But remember to wear gloves and no smoking or mobile phones when getting your acid
    If your sample bubbles away quiet happily, forget it.
    Yeah, too many cowboys and enviro vandals out there for a quik buck...I agree.

This was the response from Clint,
    Not suure if it was his tank now

Not sure if I could be much help though as the thread seems to be about sand, whereas my substrate is gravel over soil/vermiculite.

But pool sand or something similar should be fine for a planted discus tank. I'd add a "thin" bottom layer of peat and mulm, only ~1cm or so, and then throw the sand over that. Then give the plants plenty of CO2/N/P/K/traces, regular water changes, good lighting etc. Focus on keeping the plants happy and you'll have happy discus.
    Also instead of using 10% diluted hydrochloric acid, you can use white vinigar which has the same effect,

Cheeers
    Scott