Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

What sand to use???

I am thinking of using river sand on a new Discus tank, can anyone suggest a good "available" option in the Sydney area...

It would need to be such that it didnt affect the chemistry of the water, as well as being able to foot some grass type plants (with the aid of root tabs and C02 for the plants well being and successful growth).

Colour is not that important, just as long as it is not to dark, and not too fine...

thx in advance.

Swimmingpool filter sand is totally inert and good for plant growth, but it may be a bit too fine for you. I have used it in the past with success.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Thanks for the advice...

Does anyone have any experience with River sands...

there are some sweet colours etc, that I have seen at Flower Power, and some other nurseries

Blue Diamond Discus
    I was about to ask the same question. I just ordered my 4x2x2 tank from xtreme and have been thinking about what gravel to use ... my wife has always liked sand ....
    Dave

Blue Diamond Discus
    Is Onyx sand the same ? I found an interesting article referenced by an aussies home site, http://home.iprimus.com.au/clintbrearley/barr.htm

The owners web page, Clint, has glass shrimp in with his discus.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/clintbrearley/index.htm
    Dave

just go to the local landscape supplies centre and ask for "WASHED RIVER SAND"

this is what they use in potting mixes and for getting those golf greens so smooth that the ball always breaks away form the hole

just wash it a few times and then test it, its really cheap but thats because somtimes they pull it from a brackish layer under or along side the fresh water table

its normally found inland so its not highly calcium based but always test these products.

far to many cowboys out there,

get a winner and you can buy more than you will use in a lifetime in $15.00 plus some change.
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Chemistry must be right

Being a geologist, I know quiet a bit of info about sands etc. Just some pointers to take into consideration:
    1) If the sand is poorly sorted (large and small grains), You probs need two seives. One size is to get rid of the large stuff and the next size down is to keep the good stuff and throw away the finer stuff which would go through the second seive.
    2) Black rocks (sedimentary or igneous) tend to have sulphur in various concentrations.
    3) Steer away from rocks that are derived from granites. These tend to increase the CaCO3 due to plagioclase (the white stuff) having this stuff.
    4) Try to get the sand from as far away from the source as possible as most of the soluble minerals would have disolved by then.
    5) The best option is find a stream/creek that basically has nearly 100% quartz content in it. These are found generally near river mouths or on alluvial plains which generally pass through the suburbs anyway.
    6) Get yourself a handlense or magnifying glass so that you can identify the percentage of quartz in a handsample. Over 80% quartz is good.
    ...hope this sorta helps. I didnt want to get too much involved.

Oh, forgot to mention that when using a handlense, determine the sphericity (roundness) of most the grains. Well rounded grains aint too good for porosity and permeability (circulation) within the substrate.

I have asked Clint too come and share some information about his setup.

Hopefully he can help you guys out.

Cheers
    Scott

most washed river sand are a quartz based product here in OZ

just remember to wash it throughly, then again

it's mostly used in paving, and lawn top dressing (by the way thats what they use on golf greens and lawn bowl pitchs, makes its own level, very stable, fills cracks, don't break down and make pits. GOOD STUFF)

if you can lay your hands on a fine sive that would help as well if not use an old bit of fly mesh and wash out all the little bits in it. you'll thank me

RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Have to disagree with yuh on that point ("...most washed river sand are a quartz based product here in OZ..."). Anywhere there is a hill, mountain or exposed bedrock with a creek or similar passing through it you will get more than quartz in your creek sand that it is eroded from . Also dependant factors influencing the outcome as to the type of sand in a creek is the mechanism of erosion experienced at the source (physical/ chemical and/or mechanical weathering). Without going into too much detail, it is true that the Australian geology exposed at the surface is generally older than most parts of the world and more weathered. We have the some of the oldest soils in the world which consist of aluminium rich laterites. Dependant on location then within Australia, you will find more quartz in a creek than others, with some creeks based entirley on quartz due to erosion probably of the soil profile, or other factors mentioned previuosly. For the sake of those in Sydney, a relatively good chance of finding good quartz beds is steer away from the hills and focus more on any creeks that cut through the plains and especially cut through previuosly deposited alluvium and old soil beds where no bedrock is exposed. Also, if the hills are composed of quartzite (sandstone) you have good bet of close to 100% quartz sands in creeks that flow away from them. Even a quick phone call to the geology department in any university will find more than helpful staff who will go out of their way to help you. Ask them where you can find quartz rich, well sorted creek beds or even the location of old sand dunes preserved as hills which will have a mix of soil and quartz. If you are after a particular look or colour of rock, sand...they can help you on that point to. It is the geologists responsiblity to know their local area and believe me, they know where to find the best sand and display rocks which will cost you only time and petrol and an outing with kids. For those of us in northern Australia, it is much more difficult as the creeks/rivers up here have fast flow rates, which means that pebbles are further deposited downstream than they are down south and weathered within the creeks reducing quartz percentages.