Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.V
    Hmm... the soil is not that expensive ^^ might got some when they're available.

Can I suggest that you use a tank with no plastic corners ?? ( not sure what they called ) and the edges are bevelled ( spelling ? )

IMO, planted tanks looks nicer in these tanks.

Good luck.
    All the Aqua Soils are available now.

I was going to have stainless steel/aluminium strips put on the corners but having thought it over a little it will be left as is (cleaned up though). It wont have bevelled edges though as the back, sides and base panel are all set and cured. (the front and side edges will be dressed up though via a cutting stone)

Is there going to be fish in the tank at all?
    as per previous... Fish... Have not decded on that yet, but depending on what temperature the plants that are chosen can tolerate, I may put Discus in there.

What brand is your lighting unit? Is it an all in one? ie. are the MH and the power compacts all in the one unit? I like the Giesemann 230 which has a similar setup but looking for something a bit cheaper.

Looking forward to the progress of this project!
    Shewey
    It will be an Aqua One MG1500. The 3 Halide tubes are going to be replaced with the ADA - NA Lamp MH-150w. The 6 Power Compacts will be of various Kelvin nd lumens (to be decided). This unit has seperate switches for all 3 Halides, and banks of PC's (with seperate leads for timers etc). I like the Giesemann units and down the track may get one, but the price on the Aqua One unit was too good to knock back (in combination with geting several other pendants for the 7ft x 3ft tank which will be running 2 Halide fixtures on it)

Just an Egg
    That Aqua One unit looks good. I think I will get one myself for my next 6 footer project. With a 2k saving over the Geisemann, I think it is not a hard decision.

Shewey

Quote Originally Posted by shewey
    That Aqua One unit looks good. I think I will get one myself for my next 6 footer project. With a 2k saving over the Geisemann, I think it is not a hard decision.

Shewey
    In all honesty, the unit is great value. The lights that come standard are of a good colour temp (14k) (10k is too yellow).

I will be replacing at least 2 of the tubes, but the existing tubes will be used as spares for the halides above the 7ft tank

Wrigglers
    Hi,

You mention a 3 foot wide tank. I am thinking of getting one also, could you post the dimensions and glass thickness, numbers of straps, stand details etc if you don't mind?

Cheers
    Vincent

Quote Originally Posted by mtchye
    Hi,

You mention a 3 foot wide tank. I am thinking of getting one also, could you post the dimensions and glass thickness, numbers of straps, stand details etc if you don't mind?

Cheers
    Vincent
    It will have a 15mm base (heavy). Sides will be 12mm, bracing will be on all sides and there will be 2 bridges going front to back.

Medium Discus
    Pro,

How many bags of Aqua Soil do you think I would need as a stand alone substrate in my 4x2x2 (430 lt) tank.

Dave.

Prob 3-4 9L bags of Aqua Soil Normal and one 9L bag of Powder...

Just an Egg
    To give you an idea.

ADA AquaSoil 9L = $62.95 (@ $6.99 per litre)
    Red Sea Flora Base/Dupla 5.4L = $53.95 (@ $9.99 per litre)
    Seachem Flourite 7L = $69.95 (@ $9.99 per litre)
    Caribsea EcoComplete 9.2L = $77.99 (@ $8.47 per litre)
    JBL AquaBasis Plus 2.5L = $12.95 (@ $5.20 per litre)

These are based on non discounted prices, and given the high quality of the ADA Aqua Soil I think that shows just how competitive the prices are.
    Are all these prices from the same shop?
    Do any of them include freight by any chance?

I'm asking because I bought Florabase for $45 for a bag and know that a 7Kg bag of Fluorite is $53.85 at Aquatic Life Aquariums.

I'm keen to know where the pricing is from

Ari

Wrigglers
    cant wait to see it going and i wish i could do something like this lol

Blue Diamond Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieStar
    cant wait to see it going and i wish i could do something like this lol
    Don't we all but $$$ stops most people
    Cheers,

Rick