Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ultraviolet Light Systems

After trolling through many articles and spec's I can only find the difference being the actual naming of the two units.

I used the Philips TUV PL-S lamp as my test object, and it is found in both types of units...

I read articles on both types of UV units, and both summarised doing the same thing...

A UVC & UVS will:-

* Help protect fish against disease

* Cleans the aquarium/pond without using any chemicals

* Clarifies the water

* Controls moulds, bacteria and algae

* Kills Pathogens, parasites and germs

Disinfection of water using ultraviolet light (UV) is a proven technology. This safe and effective physical disinfectant is suitable for both large and small applications. Ultraviolet light, better known as UV, is one energy region of the electromagnetic spectrum. In this spectrum UV lies between visible light and X-rays. The shorter the wavelength the greater the energy produced, therefore UV has less energy than the X-ray region and more than visible light. The UV region is made up of four areas, Vacuum UV, UV C, UV B, and UV A. The UV A region is used for sun tanning lamps. UV B and UV C are the regions that contain the wavelengths effective for germicidal action. Wavelengths most effective in killing microbes lie below 300nm. Those most effective in producing ozone lie below 200nm. In most cases, we are interested in killing microbes, not in producing ozone, so we are concerned primarily with wavelengths between 200 and 300nm. Ultraviolet lamps and fluorescent lamps are similar in design. UV light is emitted as a result of current flow through the mercury vapor between the electrodes of the lamp. The most commonly use UV lamps produce the majority of their UV output at 253.7nm, a wavelength which is very close to the 260 - 265nm wavelengths which are most effective in killing microbes. The main differences between germicidal and fluorescent lamps are the germicidal lamp is constructed of UV transmitting quarts, whereas the fluorescent lamp has soft glass with an inside coating of phosphor which converts UV to visible light, the quartz tube transmits 93% of the lamps UV energy whereas the soft glass emits very little.
    If there is someone who knows more technical information regarding this, please enlighten us all...

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Proteus,

My technical documentation about Hozelock Cyprio UVC's provides similar information to what you've already given.

Philips PL-S TUV lamps found at the bottom of the page linked emit (according to my specs) 87% of the UV energy produced by the lamp (close to your 93% - could depend upon who's measuring ie manufacturer/end user?). Philips PL-S TUV lamps are made in Poland using quartz glass, and emit up to 30% more radiation than "conventional double ended fluorescent lamps" purely because they are single ended so radiation is emitted out the end of the lamp.

I know this information isn't particularly ground breaking in the light of your post, but it does provide confirmation that what you've found in your research is in fact correct.

We carry the 5W, 9W and 11W lamps - plenty in stock at great prices.
    Derek

...now I have to do some research as I have been offered a 36w UVS at a price that is hard to refuse... (got to check if it is the real deal 1st)

Can i just sort this about steriliers and clarifiers.

So a clarifier will mainly clump together algea? Will this in anyway remove bacteria or pathogens? Also will this remove the algea or will you have to open up the unit too remove it.

And last instead do these series of pond pumps come with Steriliers??

Thanks for the help,
    Very informative.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by flukes
    And last instead do these series of pond pumps come with Steriliers??

Thanks for the help,
    Very informative.
    All the UV products we sell are UVC's not UVS's. Pumps don't come with UVS' (although Hozelock has a soon to be released combined pump/filter/UVC unit which I have seen - shhhh don't tell anyone) but you can get filters with combined UVC's.

Derek 8)

Thought I might dig this back up.

After doing a lot more research, and having just added another 36w UV unit to my setup I thought I would share some info.

If you are using a high quality tube, such as the Philips brand, there is no difference between a UVC & a UVS unit. So long as they are a TUV type tube.

TUV disinfection lamps are low-pressure mercury-vapour
    discharge lamps consisting of a tubular glass envelope, emitting
    short-wave ultraviolet radiation with a radiation peak at 253.7 nm
    (UV-C) for germicidal action.
    The glass filters out the 185 nm ozone-forming line.A protective
    coating on the inside limits the depreciation of the useful UV-C
    radiation output (Longlife lamps).
    PL-S have a specially adapted starter providing almost instant
    starting characteristics already built into the lamp base.
    Applications

TUV lamps are used for killing or inactivating bacteria, viruses
    and other primitive organisms.
    Typical application examples include air, water and surface
    disinfection in hospitals, bacteriological research and
    pharmaceutical institutions, and food processing industries,
    such as dairies, breweries and bakeries.They are also used for
    the disinfection of drinking water, waste water, swimming pools,
    air conditioning systems, cold storage rooms, packing
    material, etc.
    Finally, they are applied in a variety of photochemical processes.
    Radiation of these lamps is harmful to eyes and skin.
    Installations with these lamps are to be screened off completely.
    FYI, the average high quality UV tube will last approx 8000 hours, with it losing between 15-30% after 5000 hours (the higher the tube wattage, the lower the percentage of loss)

Hi, I'm New Here!
    where can we get the phillips TUV bulbs from?

Medium Discus
    I got my a Phillips PL-S 9w from them for less than $23.
    They are located in Hawthorn, Melbourne and
    NSW Northmead
    www.gmtlighting.com.au

Hope they can help... Oscar

Medium Discus
    the answer you guys have been searching for is that the bulbs in both clarifiers and sterilisers is the same - hence the above suggestions that they are the same thing

the difference is really in the name's definitions

sterilisers will sterilise(well not quite) to do this the uv light emitted by the bulb must have a longer contact time with the water , hence the internal void enginereed around the uv lamp must be narrower , also the water can not be pumped above a certain speed(larger systems will require multiple bulbs in plumbed in parallel )

clarifiers have less contact time and hence only claim to reduce the numbers of more easily damaged cells , usually the green water encounterd in ponds

HTH
    andrew

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenkun88
    where can we get the phillips TUV bulbs from?
    Ken,
    You'll find them here: http://www.rockaroundtheblock.com.au...ies.asp?cID=61
    Available immediately, with next day delivery if necessary, or 2-3 day Australia Post delivery if you want to save $5.

Derek.