Wrigglers

Aquarium Lighting Info

For those of you wanting more detailed information on aquarium lighting, check out this website.... http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

great artical and a very good read, I've been using it for some time.

the PUR vs PAR is still a bit of a cloudy issue IMO higher order plants have developed to utilize a broader spectrum of radiation then Algae which from my knowlage is how the PUR plots were first measured.

obviously green light at 520-535 is going to be wasted on green plants (as they reflect green) but these wavelengths are VERY importants for other reasons as they give the most lumens/w off any spectrum as its where our eyes are most sensitive. If you think of it this way you only need 1 w of green to look as bright as 10 watts of red and blue so by a adding "a little" green you get a huge spike in brightness for the least ammount of power. Also adding green to red and blue make a nice white light thats pleasing to the eye.

I've just started rebuilding all my DIY fixtures to use 1 green for ever 2 blues and 2 reds and the results are amazing I'll try and post some photos.

I think an important thing to remember that a light has to not only grow plants but make the tank look appealing and as ALOT of the coral boys are finding out just having the cool white (6500k+) and royal blue can wash things out a little, its good to use other parts of the spectrum to get colours to display right and with LED's you can easily match PAR from a 150w halide with energy savings of 80%-90% and maintain full coverage of the visable light spectrum.

Wrigglers
    Hi aquafrogstuff,
    Great link, thanks. Great timing for me, I'm wanting to upgrade my lights from the very basic T8's that I have been mostly using and try to get more than the basic plants to grow and colours to "pop" in the fish. I recently took the advice of a buddy and added an extra T5 unit with some blue and pink tubes and wow what a difference to the reds etc in the fish.
    Leds seem to be the way to go so will read this info over the coming days.

Thanks mate,

Cheers

Wrigglers
    Great response guys - check out a post I just did on some LED lights I installed today.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...776&highlight=