Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Just an Egg

:: New Tank for Discus FINAL UPDATE Scroll down for pic : )

Hi there,

Was so excited that i had to take some quick snaps b4 the tannins distroy the tank! Still need to add fish and more plants and background but thought id post the progress....

Hope you like... Sorry about the murky pics... I just setup the tank.

Cheers,

Shev

Larvae
    Hi aquartos

I love the way you have setup your tank, can wait to see some fish in it. I love the contrast of the white gravel and driftwood. I wish I had used that gravel when setting up my tank.
    (¯`·._)§andy(_.·`¯)

SnakeSkin Discus
    Gorgeous tank mate!!!

nice tank! i think i see an inlet to a canister filter there? that power filter will knock your discus arround a bit so i suggest you take it out or point the outlet at the glass (reducing current largely but you still get the good filtration).

if you do have a canister that should be ble to do the tank by itself.

the wood gives it a great effect. are you going to be using co2? what sort of lights do you have? any fish in there yet?
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Just an Egg
    Thanks for the nice comments...

For filtration, i have an Eheim 2224 and I feel it is not enough for my tank… thus the reason why I’m using an otto internal... GP, i think you are right that the discus will be knocked around so ill have to modify the otto filter by attaching a spray bar to it.

Regarding Co2, im not going to have any... I had enough fish in my last semi planted tank that the plants thrived... i also used some red sea fertilizer.

Lighting, well.... LOL I’m using a 4ft dalbarb in there, but considering a 4ft metal halide as a mate can get me one for a good price... not sure if this is over kill or not.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions,

Ill keep you posted on the progress…

Cheers,

Shev

Blue Diamond Discus
    Hi mate very nice tank and can't wait to see some discus in there they will love it!!

One point you might wanna tank in to consideration that white sand/gravel will attaract algae easily so your got to be carefull with what amount of light you have on that tank and make sure there is enough plants to take in the nutrients.

When you said you could get a Metal Hailde from a friend that would be awersome but you would have to have co2 for sure or you would have a massive outbreak of algae.
    If you have heaps of light you got to have heaps of nutrients in the water/gravel to keep the plants using all that light becuase if your plants don't use the light who will *algae*

Don't get me wrong that will be one awersome tank once set up and make most of us jealous

Keeps us updated on how you go with it....

Cheers
    Cheers,

Rick

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulisha
    One point you might wanna tank in to consideration that white sand/gravel will attaract algae easily so your got to be carefull with what amount of light you have on that tank and make sure there is enough plants to take in the nutrients.
    Just a question, does white sand/gravel actually attract algae easier or is it that it is more visible due to the contrast hence we think it attracts more algae?

if you get a metal halide you will need co2 so the plants can perform photosynthesis. if you were going to go to the trouble of getting such good lighting then you might seriously want to consider co2

just a thought
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

Just an Egg
    When you said you could get a Metal Hailde from a friend that would be awersome but you would have to have co2 for sure or you would have a massive outbreak of algae.
    If you have heaps of light you got to have heaps of nutrients in the water/gravel to keep the plants using all that light becuase if your plants don't use the light who will Rolling Eyes *algae* Shocked
    Sound like sound advice.... Thanks for that.
    Ill have to look into getting a Co2 system setup... Just curious though... as i am not going to have heaps of plants in there, will the Co2 suffocate the fish?
    I will have 15 cardinals 10 rummy nose and around 6-8 small discus in there.
    What do you think?

Just an Egg
    If you keep your CO2 levels between 20 - 30 ppm you will be right. No need to go any higher than that. Just keep an eye on your ph levels as it will drop during the light period when you have CO2 being injected. Also make sure your kh is not too low or you could get a ph crash. kh of 3 or 4 should be fine.

Some people keep their CO2 going 24 hours a day. Others only inject CO2 during the lighting period or inject CO2 24 hours and turn on a airstone when the lights go out.

I would only go the MH lighting and CO2/ferts if you plan to add a whole lot more plants. If you just plan to keep it simple with a few sword plants then I think the whole extra effort (and expense) of CO2 and MH is probably not worth the while.

Thats just my thoughts anyway. Good luck, your tank has gotten off to the right start - it looks great.

Cheers,
    Mark.