Thread: Q and A time

Q and A time

Hi guys just want to pick some brains for a while , i have been in to Discus for over 20 years and have seen it go up and down as all trends too , but what i want to know from the hobbiest and trades what is missing and what is it we are all looking for in the discus world , do we want cheaper fish , quality , wilds , ect .
    thanks guys feel free to speak your mind scott

Hi mate, great to see you posting.

At the end of the day people want good quality fish at a reasonable price.

Personally i believe the trick to the discus market is in the quality of juvinile fish.

Everyone wants a AAA show grade fish but no one can afford the $2000+ price that comes with it.

That being said if someone could get 2-4inch size GOOD fish from decent farms or parents with GOOD shape and some color development you could be onto a real winner.

Such fish would be easier to ship, easier to aclimitise and give the aquariest the true joy of watching them growup pair and maybe even breed. They would also be more affordable.

If you could get say 2 inch GOOD fish for $50-$60ea or less TO THE END CUSTOMER no one would have the right to complain. But that in itself might be impossible Given the costs associated with doing anything here in Australia.

I would love to see real wilds come to Australia again but with the way things these days and gen Y's push button desire for the latest greatest, brightest and coolest I think its a dead trade that will die out the with more "old school" breeders from the 70's and early 80's. I do miss being a 6yr old and spending hours Dads wild brown pair swimming around with their fry. A real pitty my kids have to grow up watching wild type angels in their lounge room tank.

I'll stop ranting now.

Larvae
    what about some dicus shows like they have overseas so we can view what the rest of the world likes and then we can take it from there, cheers.

lol ILLUSN
    thats not a rant mate lol you have some very good points and that is what most of us are looking for , it is hard to find the AAA grade fish out there and they are few and far between . but we keep looking .
    giorid there has been some shows out here they used to show up in Qld at the show there , but maybe it is some thing we sould try to get going just it may come at a large cost . but it would be good to see a show