Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Ladys and Gentelmen,

First and formost understand that this chemical can be used in explosives

for goodness sake be careful in use and storage

as for the cycling part i have never tried it and i know next to nothing sorry
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

Ryan,
    There is being safe with chemicals and using with caution but the whole point of the fishless cycle is that the is no fish subjected too cruelty.
    Look iam all for using alternatives to harsh chemicals but this is for the better of the fish's well being.
    Once the cycle has been completed (No fish should be present during this time) then the bottle of ammonia can be placed in a cabinet away from the tank and children. It will not be needed till a new tank is needed too be cycled.
    I totally agree that education with the use chemicals is fore most important but this is truely a better alternative. Your wanrning people about chemicals that can be found in your house but what about the ammonia that the fish produce which if the tank is not cycled properly can cause as much damage to a fish then using these chemicals yourself.
    This method is not only a faster alternative but it is also a safer method for the fish, of course a bit of common sense is needed when storing it, but even if you tip half the bottle into the tank, what going to happen? The glass might be a bit cleaner but that is the beauty of this method there is no fish present.

Anyway mate its not for everyone but by this article i was trying to help some people who want a better way too cycle a tank other than causing harm to so called "starter fish".

So for anyone intrested the article is there, i cant see a reason why you wouldnt try it, unless you have trouble resisting the urge too drink chemicals.

This is one of those areas that have its fans and detractors...

I guess it is an option, that does work, but at the same time, caution must be used...

I guess my point is, that when someone reads that comment they would be scared away from trying this method. Ammonia is a great cleaning product, so since we a warning them about ammonia why not do the whole list of detergents, white king, all kinds of bleach, meth spirits they are everywhere and since we are on safety then why not warn everybody about power points? I mean they are in reach of water being splashed from the tank.
    Look i am not saying it shouldnt be meantioned but maybe start up a post stating the dangers and precautions that should be taken when using a specific chemical rather than anytime a chemical is meantioned a comment is made so it sounds like somone that wants too use the product has too have a chemistry major.
    Iam all for safety but I dont want people too be scared off by a good thing.

Sorry,

I think my post may have been misconstrued

I personally use chemicals every day, i have a chemical storage facility which is bigger than half of my house and i have more nastieys in thier than most people will see in thier lives. My point is that i READ every label before i USE a chemical and i am constantly refreshing my knowlege of the products.

I can make a very deep crater should i be careless but i'm not becasue i know what to do.

Just read and understand chemicals before use, including storage, chemicals are a FANTASTIC things that must be treated with respect.

In the right hands they will pay you back 10,000 fold in what they can do.

does that makes sense?
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

The wonderful thing about this forum is that we have lots of people with expertise in different areas, and we can all learn from each other. Ryan your point about reading labels is very valid and that is something we all should do. Chemicals are safe when used according to directions. It's up to each of us to make sure that we know what those directions are.
    Fishless cycling using ammonia is very successful provided due care is exercised.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

not only succesful but more humane on our "freinds"

please use this system, i have read up about it and the concept makes chemical sense. i just was misunderstood on my point.

anything that stops fish harm ROCKS
    RYAN --- DIY ROCKS!

At the same time ammonia like most chemicals meationed on this forum are dangerous. Make sure you do the approriate research before using

Larvae
    started my fishless cycling a week ago, and testing ammonia concentrations daily and adding pure ammonia to keep level between 4-5 ppm but still no signs of nitrite. Is this normal ?? should i be adding pure ammonia everyday or its ok aslong as it is between 4-5 ppm.. Running canister with noodles and tank is heated to 30Degrees.

Dont have too add it every day aslong as its between 4-5ppm, have you used anything from an established tank?

Also when i go through a bit of a stage with no action i do a water change and leave it at 2-3ppm for a day or 2 then bring it back up.

Have faith you will see it happen.

Also make sure there is oxygen in the tank, the more the better.