Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Gotta love moving when you have fish tanks...

As some would know I am in the middle of a move which involves setting up lots of new tanks, as well as relocating half a dozen large tank as well.

Steps were put in place several weeks ago to have some custom built furniture constructed and stained to my specification and some new tanks built.

The smallest of these tanks is 750L, and one of the bigger ones has a total capacity of almost 1200L.

Here are a few shots of the cabinet, the 3ft sump (still to be configured) and the 36w UV which has been attached to the underside of one of the support beams.

This tank will also feature a built in air control module which is built into the base of the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0005__medium_.jpg   dscn0006__medium__193.jpg   dscn0009__medium_.jpg  

with the tank in place (this thing weighs a tonne)

(the tank needs a clean up, as bits of foam and water droplets are scattered all over the place)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0015__medium_.jpg   dscn0016__medium_.jpg  

You might notice some bags at the right side of image DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG... that is 160kg of pool filter sand for this tank and one of the 900L tanks.

nice job! what size is the tank?
    DF.com Resident Cool Guy

San Merah Discus
    Pro,

Does Matrix style sump is more effecient than normal sump ? What is the good from this type of sump ? I see that it uses much less bio balls than normal sump which means less surface area for bacteria.

Also, I noticed that you have the return hole on the base of the tank instead on the back of the tank ( pic DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG ). Are you going to extend using PVC pipe to the height of slightly lower than the water level? Otherwise, when you turn off the pump, the sump will be floaded and eventually emptied your tank ?

Thanks

San Merah Discus
    What I mean by normal sump is this :
    http://www.discusforums.com/forum/vi...highlight=sump

Posted by Proteus, the image called 95g #2.jpg.

Thanks

Free Swimmer
    My drooling has stopped...for now !!

Love the neatness and simplicity......

Any more pics to drool over ??

I take it with your new place everything has been thought out in relation to the tanks come first, the rest go's around that ??

Bet you didn't even look at the place other than thinking, you could put a x tank here a y tank there ect ect....

Good on you fish nirvana !!

Why wait till you croak when you can create your own heaven here on earth...

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DR.V
    Pro,

Does Matrix style sump is more effecient than normal sump ? What is the good from this type of sump ? I see that it uses much less bio balls than normal sump which means less surface area for bacteria.
    This sump will have up to 10 times more surface area than the other sumps I use (bioballs), plus it has no moving parts (spinning arm). The photo that has been posted only has 4 litres of Pond Matrix in it. There is another 8 litres to add, plus several sheets of biomat between chamber 1 & 3. The 4th compartment is for heaters and monitor probes (redox & pH).
    Plus I am adding most of the bioballs that are currently in use on the 6x2x2 which the fish are in that will be moving to this tank, they will be placed in the weir (overflow) for even more filtration capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by DR.V
    Also, I noticed that you have the return hole on the base of the tank instead on the back of the tank ( pic DSCN0015 (Medium).JPG ). Are you going to extend using PVC pipe to the height of slightly lower than the water level? Otherwise, when you turn off the pump, the sump will be floaded and eventually emptied your tank ?

Thanks
    The return will be a PVC pipe which will exceed the surface level with a 45 degree corner section at the top aimed downwards (similar to durso returns) this way when the pump is turned off, minimal water will back siphon into the sump (I have 3 large tanks with this set up now).

The last compartment will be filled to a level that will facilitate power outs etc.

The UV will be run by a seperate pump on a seperate power point with both linked so if one goes off, so does the other. I am thinking somewhere around 1000 litres per hour for UV coming out of the sump and returning to the sump.

All electrical fittings and ballasts (Lights & UV) will be mounted to the cross beams or upright supports so nothing is on the base of the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by OscarManAlpha
    I take it with your new place everything has been thought out in relation to the tanks come first, the rest go's around that ??

Bet you didn't even look at the place other than thinking, you could put a x tank here a y tank there ect ect....

Cheers,

Mark
    Exactly, and the best is yet to come... this place even has its very own climate controlled fishroom (well, when I say climate controlled, it stays at a constant 17-19c day or night).

We are buying new furniture to match the cabinets, and the layout is based around what tank goes where, plus we have some fish issues to deal with, such as the Giant Gourami needs to be placed somewhere that he can watch TV, yes, I said watch TV (btw, he hates commercials, turns his back on them, loves the news or anything where a person is clearly visible).

San Merah Discus
    Thanks for the reply Pro.

Do you mind posting some pictures of the tank and sump when you're done setting it up ?

I want to see the finished products hehe...

Good luck.