Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    San Merah Discus

Some Discus at SLS

Here are some pictures of the discus at SLS currently. These pictures were taken about 2weeks ago, so there might not be as many fish as u see in the pictures left. They've been moving well.

The spectacular Fine leopards spotted snakeskin. These fish are a bit bigger than 4inches now. These 6 that we had were hand selected (by ME!) from a group of about 20fish so, they are certainly the cream of the crop! Have to see these fish in the flesh... look better than in photos honestly.

Another picture of the Fine leopard spotted snakeskin... This time with their tankmates the Golden leopard spotted snakeskin. Gold leopard spotteds are a new variant. I believe this may be the first time these Golden leopard spotteds snakeskins have come in to the country!

My personal favourite.... the Ocean Greens! I take it upon myself to educate people about the subtle differences between the Ocean Greens and the Blue Diamonds. IMO, Ocean Greens a much much better fish, especially 6-8months down the road when they've grown to adult size. They will be so much better than the standard 'blue diamonds'...
    Oh and in the background... Red Scorpion snakeskins. Very good shape!

SHOCK THERAPY.... that's what I call these red fish. No one walks past these Bunga Rayas without noticing them! IN-YOUR-FACE red and will only get better and better with time. Only wish I had enough dosh to bring back a couple full size ones! Bound to turn even more heads!!

So there.... just a hint of what's at SLS. We've got still many varieties in shop which are as good, if not better such as the:

Leopard spots <--- George's personal favourite (We've all got our own favs u know.)

Pearl Pigeon <---- have a 4inch fully coloured sample fish to show what the little 2inch fish will grow into. AMAZING transformation these guys will go thru as they grow up.

Scorpion snakeskin <------ The Roundness of the body and the high fins are as good as it's going to get. The eyes of these fish are tiny, showing you the excellent growth rate and the huge sizes these fish will atain. At 7cm, these guys haven't fully coloured up yet. (Well, if they were coloured up at that size, I wouldn't buy them... either hormone fed or stunted!). Will get better with time and TLC!

Then there are the perenial ever popular fish:
    Red Turquoise
    Cobalt blues
    Blue diamonds

kev

Have to see these fish in the flesh... look better than in photos honestly.
    I agree, hence the reason I walked in thinking.... mmmmmmm, maybe I will get 2....

yeah right!!!

picked up 5, might have to get one more for balance.

If they look better in person, then I better get a bucket for my drool.

I love those leopards and bunga rayas.

Bryan

i am setting up a new small tank soon that will be big enough for about 10-15 young discus.... i think i'll be visiting your shop some time very soon!!!

if i do stop in should i ask for you george???

cheers mate

matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Matt, give them a call maybe before you go in.

Otherwise you will have the pleasure in meeting ether, George, Kev or Michella...

when you thinking of going??? I am heading over there on Monday to pick up another Diski... although I am guessing you will be working or something like that.

Just an Egg
    Those snakeskins are truly amazing! I wish I had the opportunity to go somewhere like that, unfortunately where I live there aren't any.
    Thank you,
    Cory

My Tank Pics!

Discus are hard to come by where I live too. The lady who gets them only order 2-3 times a year...
    Totally sad.

San Merah Discus
    Matt, there are 5 of us at SLS..... We're all pretty well clued in on fish keeping and each have their own expertise, but everyone knows discus quite well.

George would be the one to talk to about water management and discus health. He's been breeding discus out of his fish room even b4 he contemplated opening a shop. He's very passionate about fish..... He can sometimes ask some pretty hard questions, so make sure u do your revision about water chemistry.

I (Kev) get to go do the fun part of things..... Travel and select fish. Have seen so many show quality discus and spoken to so many discus breeders, I know a good fish from a less than perfect one. My expertise extends to "show" type fish - Discus, Bettas, Goldfish, Koi and fancy guppies. Can talk till cows come home about 'show standards' in these fish. Cichlids and rare cichlids are also another fish up my alley of expertise.

Michella (George's better half) manages the shop so she is almost always there. Hey this blonde knows her fish too man! Not just a pretty sight....

Uncle Pete.... This English man has had the opportunity of working with the best in his 25years in the industry! He's worked with the legend Smidt Focke in England for a number of years and was breeding discus in England even b4 they guys in Penang ever saw one! He's an absolute genius with a few bars of light and a CO2 bottle.... He does the most amazing plant tanks. He's master of the planted tank... Ever need to recreate an Amazon biotope, he'll give you a name list of plants that all come from that one place!... plus detail instructions on their requirements!!
    He's also travelled thru Europe looking at fish and he's also had the priviledge of fish hunting in Japan.

Richard..... Youngest member of the team, but no less knowledgeble. If anyone can say he has kept an Asian arowana and spotted gar pike in Australia to a remarkable size, this young man can. He has a penchant for weird and unusual fish (Read that as "Expensive" or "Good taste". ).

So there, u have the whole team at SLS....

At SLS, we aren't afraid of having a good long chat with our customers. We like a good fishy chat.

cheers
    kev

kev, you've more than made me feel welcome in your shop. i will definately visit when my new tank is up and running...which will be a couple of weeks. i'll definately let you know when i am coming so that we can catch up check out your shop. is it a new shop?? i have never seen or heard of it before. i live in the burbs but have been in that part of twon plenty of times before and never noticed it. i have probably been looking straight at it!!!!

cheers

matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>