Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    San Merah Discus

Travel log: Pictures of Discus at Discus farm.

These were some pictures taken on my travel to select discus... At Breeders place.... lets see if the pics show up (first time posting pic.)

Just a corner of his 500+ tank setup..... SO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM! And that's only from one breeder. I visited 6!

Fine leopard spotted snakeskin.... which one to choose??! All so good!

Tank full of superb Bunga Rayas for me to pick from! I picked 20fish.

Large Super Red Melons at 4inch. Blew my budget this time... so had to pass. Maybe next time?

When are you going next Kev???

I am thinking I seriously need to check these places out... and for once I will hold off from the urge to jump in and go for a swim with them..

San Merah Discus

fishy tour...

Would probably consider doing it in late Dec or early Jan again.

It's not just a discus trip... it's an eye-opener trip to ANY fish keeper basically.

I start South in Singapore. Visit Discus breeders there, Betta farms, Catfish importer (all sorts of weird and wonderful L numbered catfish to drool over!... never mind that we can't import them into Aust, but at least u can say, hey I have SEEN a Panaque sutonni in the flesh! ).

Then I go up north to Malaysia starting with a visit to a cichlid breeding farm (Pictures of those in the "Album" section under 'non-discus' pictures). Cichlids breeding done outdoors in conditions most cichlid keepers would consider impossible to breed these fish in... but hey, fry everywhere to prove it works! U'll never see cichlids in the same light again after this!

Then we head up to Kuala Lumpur visiting some fish retail shops and an open air market selling fish everywhere on the floors and in bags! Also meet up with a few Discus breeders there and a few Betta breeders here.

We head up north towards Ipoh, where we will drop in at a LARGE tropical fish farm. 100 acres of outdoor ponds in the middle of no where. Breeding everything from Tiger barbs, tetras, gouramis etc!

Further up north, we reach Penang... Discus Central. There we will meet up with a number of very well respected Discus breeders. U will see that Discus breeding is a backyard cottage industry here in Penang. Also learn about how THEY are so successful with their discus breeding and learn little tricks about discus and little secrets not commonly divulged!

Then, we head up further north to Bangkok, Thailand.
    Discus breeders there as well... Fish are cheap, but quality not as good. Visit Betta breeding farms in Thailand... Some of the most AWESOME fancy bettas come from Thailand these days! Again, we will visit an outdoor tropical fish buying market... All the vendors cluster along a small street and fish everywhere in large bowls and in bags. For Cichlid enthusiast, Thailand have some of the best cichlids I have seen! They cop a bad reputation because of a few breeders that cross breed their cichlids, but generally, the majority of cichlids I see there are actually good quality and pure!

So there, that was what I did on my last trip to Asia.... If anyone wants to make a run thru Asia for a fishy experience of a life time similar to the trip I just did, it can be organised.

kev

Oh, that would be too cool.
    Those Bunga Rayas and Melons are beautiful.

Awesum... so thats where my Bungas came from...

I like the way they angle the base to have all the waste accumulate in one area.

Those are some great pics. Stunning discus.

Thanks for sharing.

Bryan

i am going to thailand in november on my honeymoon...you might have to give me some details of where to go to see some fish farms etc... especially the discus farms.

my fiance wondered why i wantde to go to thailand so much...i said it was for the scenery and so on...it's really because of all the discus farms...lol!!!!

matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((( (º>
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

You must be a Genious Matt...

I thouht I was the only one who thought like that... it is like, lets go for a drive... oh look, an aquarium shop??? better stop... Mwhahaha if she only knew the truth.... lol

You know, planning your honey moon to include fish, that is a crack up, but very fun...Wish I could of got away with that..

yeah we were originally going to vegas and hawaii, but i said "nah let's go to thailand and live like kings for the same money....oh and by the way, there may be some discus farms in thailand that i "may" check out when we are there. but you don't have to come along...i'll orgainse a massage or you can do some shopping or something...heheheh"

she doesn't suspect a thing.....lol

matt
    my Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27593184@N05/
    my YouTube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mattzilla5000#p/u
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>><( (((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>