Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about pH

All about pH

found a simple article on ph hope this helps anyone thats still confused.

What is pH?
    The pH shows how acidic or alkaline water is, and is a measure of the amount of hydrogen and hydroxyl ions present in the water.

How does the pH scale work?
    The pH scale extends from 0 to 14 with 0 being extremely acidic and 14 being extremely alkaline. A pH of 7 is neutral, that is, neither acidic nor alkaline.

The critical thing to remember about the pH scale is that it is logarithmic. This means there is a tenfold difference in each unit. A pH of 8 is 10 times more alkaline than a pH of 7, and a pH of 6 is 10 times more acidic than a pH of 7. So what appear to be small changes in the water chemistry to us are much larger in chemical terms and can have a dramatic effect upon the fish.

How can I measure pH?
    You can buy a simple liquid or tablet test kit for �0, or a more accurate meter or computer for �200.

Test kits come in several forms designed for measuring high range pH (more than 7), low range pH (less than 7) and a broader pH range. Broad range kits are not very accurate and only provide a rough approximation. You can get special kits designed for use in saltwater.

Do some fish need water of
    a specific pH?
    Those from acid waters, like the Amazon and forest pools in West Africa, are called acidophiles and prefer a pH below 7. Fish from alkaline waters, like marines or Malawian or Tanganyikan cichlids, are alkalophiles and prefer a pH over 7, preferably around 8. Both groups are intolerant of the wrong pH.

My tapwater is pH 8. Should
    I make the water softer and more acidic for my Neons?
    While acidophilic fishes prefer soft, acidic conditions, if you live in a hard water area, your shop will probably have acclimatised them to hard, alkaline water. While some shops lower their pH, most keep their community fish in adjusted tapwater.

If you want to keep trickier fishes like Discus, Rams or certain anabantoids, it might be necessary to change the pH and hardness before buying fish. Always ask your retailer about their water when getting new stock for your tank.

If you want to breed fish from softwater areas, you'll need to reduce the pH and hardness to get them to spawn. There may be a link to the chemistry of the water and the number of healthy eggs or fry produced.

What makes pH go down?
    The main reason for a drop in pH is carbon dioxide. This gas dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, which gives rise to the hydrogen ions that reduce pH. CO2 is produced by the respiration of plants, bacteria and fish. Other processes can also contribute to a drop in pH, including nitrification, methane fermentation and sulphide oxidation.

This means that if you have lots of fish, lots of plants, or a dirty substrate or clogged undergravel filter, you are most at risk of pH drops. The water that leaves some denitrators can also be very acidic.

What makes pH go up?
    Many rocks and gravels sold for use in the tropical freshwater tank contain minerals that increase the pH and hardness. If you don't want the pH to increase, ask your dealer for inert substrates and decor.

Untreated concrete around a pond can increase the pH to dangerous levels, often leading to the loss of fish. Always treat nearby concrete with a pond-sealant paint such as G4.

Photosynthesis can also increase pH. If the tank or pond gets lots of sunlight and contains loads of plants or algae, the pH can get very high in the day.

What is the best way to increase my pH?
    If you have soft, acidic tapwater and you wish to keep fish that like hard, alkaline water, the best way to increase the pH and hardness is to use aragonite. This is a calcium-rich mineral and boosts and maintains a high pH and hardness. Unlike coral sand, coral gravel or dolomite chips, aragonite starts to dissolve at a pH of about 7.8 rather than about 8.

Why can't I reduce my pH?
    It is difficult to reduce the pH of your water if the KH (carbonate hardness) is too high. The KH provides a buffer to acids and prevents them from decreasing the pH. Some carbonate hardness is important, otherwise the pH will drop as acids are produced in the tank.

Should I add a chemical pH increaser or reducer to the tank to adjust my pH?
    Adding liquid or powdered products to increase or decrease pH is rarely a permanent solution. The majority of aquaria have a fairly high KH which provides a buffer to acids, for example.

Adding these products could cause potentially stressful fluctuations in pH. I avoid using them where possible. I would recommend avoiding them unless you really know what effect they are having.

What is the safest way to reduce my pH?
    Because a high KH reduces your chances of keeping the pH down, start off with RO water which has a low mineral content. Add a pH-reducing acid, such as API's pH Down, until you reach the desired mark. Replenish hardness with a mineral supplement.

I'm adding CO2 for my plants but it affects my pH. Why?
    Carbon dioxide forms carbonic acid when added to water, which reduces the pH. Plants take in CO2 in the day to produce oxygen, but at night the process is reversed. This means that the pH can get very low in the morning and rise during the day. Turn off your CO2 supply at night and add an airstone if the pH drops too low.

About the author: Matt Clarke
    Matt Clarke

Website Editor, Matt Clarke, writes the regular Interesting Imports column on rare and unusual fish in the UK aquarium trade. He's kept fish for over 20 years and holds a degree, two diplomas and two higher degrees in fish biology, taxonomy and computational biology.

Just an Egg
    Very informative Samir,
    Im sure a lot of people will find this very helpful. Lots of info in one place.
    Heidi

Blue Diamond Discus
    Great Article Samir. Maybe someone should make this a sticky - it would be a good article for someone starting out, it is really easy to read and understand (not a whole lot of fancy words - pretty simple really).

The section on Co2 is interesting - clearly explains why some people who have planted tanks experience problems when they add C02 Units.

Regards,

Marg.
    "True Friends are like Blue Diamonds, so Brilliant, Precious and Rare - Protect them while you can"

Just an Egg
    I use one dried almond tree leaf for each 10 gallons of water to lower my PH.

It stains the water to something like tea just the way Discus like it.
    Knowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens!

Don't drink water, fishes shag in it!

Just an Egg
    Quote Originally Posted by thabone
    I use one dried almond tree leaf for each 10 gallons of water to lower my PH.

It stains the water to something like tea just the way Discus like it.
    Where do you get these almond leaves from and when you obtain them, where would you put them? (e.i. -I've got a good trickle system)and I'm in Sydney Australia.

Many Fishy Regards
    Jason

Turquoise Discus
    Jason,

I think this might be what you're after - available from Ben, Age of Aquariums (one of the sponsers):

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...hp?prodID=3453

I'm willing to stand corrected,

DiscusEden

Hi, I'm New Here!
    many aquarist that keep discus prefer to keep the co2 at night also. depletion of co2 during the night will rise the ph drastically thus stressing the inhabitants. when the light turns on, photosynthesis starts- further using whats left of the co2 in the water untill the diffuser or reactor is turned on again for the day. this up and down or non constant ph level will defenitely effect the fish-specially discus.

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Hi Buddy!!!

Here i want to know SEO talk... any body is there...??? kindly reply me ASAP.. meet again...

Website Development Company in Chennai | Web Developers in Chennai

Hi, I'm New Here!
    Oak leaves do the exact same thing and are mostly free, I can ship leaves or even BW extract made from natural peat and 100% natural northern illinois and central indiana oak leaves, they come from my hunting properties that NEVER get touched with chemicals.

On thing on PH, fish will adapt to whatever the PH is as long as its not a hard swing., I have angels living in 8.6 Ph right now, these same angels have lived in a 4.6 Ph in a rio negro biotope, acclimation is key. My Ph from my tap is 8.9, when I had the BW set up with the leaf litter and sand and driftwood while running Co2 I was able to get to the 4.6

Co2 at night isnt a good thing, its a waste of money and can cause added stresses in the tank and even death.

San Merah Discus
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDevil
    Co2 at night isnt a good thing, its a waste of money and can cause added stresses in the tank and even death.
    Pretty similar to keeping angels in a ph of 8.6 I reckon.