Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    well maybe its just bullying then. probably stressed out. i think it should be okay if seperated from the other two. still check your water though doesn't hurt.

Just an Egg
    Sad news to report my poor little discus passed on last night oh well these things happen. but i can gladly report the other 2 are doing reallly well by all appearances eating well very inquizative when im near the tank the come right up to the front

thanx once again everyone for your help
    cheers Cal

Quote Originally Posted by Red Tail Shark
    thanx for the info i had mainganoes in there before
    what can i use to soften the water
    i have done a water change not quiet 50% and treated with prime 5times normal dose just in case its an amonia spike
    didnt realise about salt was using purely as a preventive as i make my change water in a 200litre drum i treat with a water conditoner put in a cup of salt, 2 teaspoons of bicarb and 1 of epson salts i also airate and heat the water
    looks like i might need to have a separate water change drum for these guys

cheers Cal
    Hi Cal, so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. Could have been a number of things. Anything from a swift bacterial infection to the fish hitting it's head on the side of the tank. Sadly sometimes our friends die, and we are left with no real explanation.

You will definately need a different water drum for these guys. The addition of salt, bicarb-soda and epsom salts are totally unnecessary for discus. With africans you need hard water with a high pH. Your discus are just the opposite. They need soft water with a lower pH.

Did you manage to get the test kits. They really are essential with discus.

Test your tap water, by filling a clean glass straight from the tap (don't add anything), then wait 24 hours, and retest. Your water will probably be fine without adding anything to it, other than dechlorinator at the recommended rate.

If you have rocks or gravel in that tank, they may also be making your water hard. Whilst discus can 'survive' in hard water with a high pH, they don't thrive. Some of the gravels and rocks sold for african tanks will dissolve calcium into the water, and make it hard, and unsuitable for discus.

Better to have a bare bottom tank, with just some driftwood in there to begin, then slowly, add some sand and a few plants if you wish.

Good luck with the remaining two fish.
    Thirty-five years keeping and breeding discus, and I'm still learning :P

Merrilyn has passed, but will not be forgotten - Goodbye dear friend

Just an Egg
    i have organised another drum its setup and operational the bottom of my tanks most of them any way are bare bottom tanks much easier with the maintainance havent aquired test kits yet will have too wait for next pay
    with plants how do they go in sand or do they need to go in gravel????

keep the info coming the more i get the more i learn

cheers Cal